Urgent: Problem with restoring

Hi all

We successfully backup all of our server to a Ethernet Disk (LaCie 1TB). Now

the urgent case has arrived where we need to restore some files.

For the last 4 hours we are trying to restore those files, but Retrospect

always hangs after the 4 pass troughs. Does anybody have any suggestions?

This is driving me crazy and we really need to restore those files, now!

Restoring in the past from our Tape Drive did work without problems.

We are using:

Retrospect 6.1.x (latest)

Latest Driverware

MacOS X 10.3.9 (latest)

Any help very much appreciated.

Nitai

"Latest" isn't useful; please list the actual version numbers. Also, what hardware are you running Retrospect on, including the amount of RAM and the free space on the boot volume?

What do you mean by "Ethernet Disk?" Do you mean an Internet backup set, a file backup set on a NAS or server volume, or something else?

When you tell us what kind of backup set you are using, also let us know how big is it, both in GB and in the total number of files. How many files are you trying to restore?

How do you know that Retrospect has actually hung? If your backup set is huge, and/or you're restoring a lot of files, it can take Retrospect quite a bit of time to prepare for the restore, especially if it's running on underpowered hardware.

Ok, here are the requested answers:

Software:

Restrospect 6.1.126, latest Driver update from November 2006, MacOS X 10.3.9 with the latest patches as of today.

Hardware:

G4/400Mhz, 800MB Ram, only Retrospect is running on this server, 16GB is free on the System Volume.

Backups:

We are using 4 1TB LaCie drives mounted to this server over smb per IP address. The backup is currently around 500GB. We are trying to restore about 100MB.

We see that Retrospect hung in the Activity Monitor.

Anyhting else you need to know?

Nitai

It is trying to do it's restore now, but the Activity Monitor shows me that Retrospect is using 99,80 % CPU!!! and it also says "Retrospect (Not Responding)...".

This all on a brand new Mac Mini with 1.83GHZ Intel Dual Core and 2GB Ram.

It's possible that the problem is in the version of SMB on the G4 with 10.3.9, or in the version of SMB on the NAS. One thing to try might be to put a 500 GB local disk on the Retrospect machine, format it as Mac HFS+, copy the backup set over to it, restore from there.

Russ

Quote:

It is trying to do it's restore now, but the Activity Monitor shows me that Retrospect is using 99,80 % CPU!!! and it also says "Retrospect (Not Responding)...".

This all on a brand new Mac Mini with 1.83GHZ Intel Dual Core and 2GB Ram.

Three comments:

(1) what version of Mac OS is on the Mac Mini? You haven't said. If it's 10.4.7 or 10.4.8, you may need to update your version of Retrospect to 6.1.131. Details here:

Retrospect ACL workaround

If you have 10.4.9, it's not an issue and 6.1.126 will work fine.

(2) You haven't said what version of RDU you are running, only "November 2006". Hopefully you have RDU 6.1.9.102, but I don't think that is your problem. Updates are here:

Retrospect Mac updates

(3) It's normal for Retrospect to use as close as it can to 100% of the CPU, especially on an Intel Mac because Retrospect isn't Intel native and has to be emulated under Rosetta. Likewise, it's normal for Activity Monitor to say "Retrospect (Not Responding)". All that means is that Retrospect isn't spending much time blocked (with time being returned to other processes). Not to say that Retrospect isn't hung waiting on some SMB transaction, but your evidence isn't necessarily conclusive.

Again, I'd suggest that you try putting a local drive on the Intel Mac Mini and move the backup set over to that local drive and try to restore from that.

Russ

Ok, after 15 Minutes Retrospect showed me the Window to which files I wan't to restore the files. Maybe EMC should think about showing a progress bar or alike, so one is not lost.

On that matter, will there be a Intel Version someday or is EMC fully sworn to the Windows platform?

Quote:

Maybe EMC should think about showing a progress bar or alike, so one is not lost.

You can make a feature request yourself here:

Retrospect Mac Feature Requests

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote:

will there be a Intel Version someday

Well, there is an Intel version now - it just runs emulated under Rosetta, with all the baggage that brings.

I have no inside knowledge as to when or if a Universal Binary version of Retrospect will arrive - I'm just a Retrospect user like you are. Robin Mayoff, Retrospect tech support manager, has posted that there is an update planned to support Leopard. See:

Retrospect update planned for Leopard

Quote:

or is EMC fully sworn to the Windows platform?

I wouldn't say that EMC is "fully sworn" to the Windows platform, either. If you look in the Windows forums, you will see that Windows users have their own issues. The staff has been downsized in recent months, in case you haven't heard, and the Zulch brothers, who founded Dantz, have both left. I hope that those who remain are remarkably talented and are working very hard.

Russ

Quote:

FYI:

When an application is "not responding" it simply means it is currently not responding to user input (mouse, keyboard). It doesn't necessarily mean it's hanging, looping or has crashed.

As you discovered yourself, Retrospect simply had a lot of calculating to do.

And the Windows version of Retrospect does the same: Showing the hour glass cursor and you have NO idea for how long.

Archived