slow throughput backing up to firewire HD

I'm backing up 3 Mac clients over a 100 Mbps ethernet LAN to a file on an external firewire 400 HD. I can't seem to get the throughput much about 75 MB/min - this seems slow to me. I tested the same setup to a file set on the backup server's internal drive and got about 250 MB/min, which is closer to what I'd expect.

Is this a limitation of firewire in general, or of this particular external drive, or should I suspect problems elsewhere?

Backup server = iMac G3/400 running OS 10.3, 256 MB ram, Retro 6.1, external LaCie 250 GB drive. Nothing else running on backup server.

Quote:

I tested the same setup to a file set on the backup server's internal drive and got about 250 MB/min, which is closer to what I'd expect.

Does the "same setup" mean exactly the same clients, same volumes, same number of files being backed up, etc.?

How big (i.e., how many files) are already in the file backup set on the FW HD? If you create a new file backup set on the external drive as you did on the internal drive, does the backup run any faster?

How fast does a large finder copy to the FW HD run?

I agree with Russ that the amount of RAM you have seems a bit anemic for what you're trying to accomplish.

If you are indeed able to backup the same Source to the same Type of Backup Set (which would have to be a File Backup Set) on a different physical volume and see much faster speeds, then you have shown that the software is able to perform as expected, and proven that you have a hardware problem.

Retrospect uses system level APIs to write to mounted volumes; if it's slow, it's not because of Retrospect.

Dave

Archived