No removable media found. Why?

I'm using Mac OS X. I'm trying to backup to an external USB LaCie Drive. I get this message:

Removable cartridges such as Zip, Jaz, SuperDisk, DVD-RAM or MO must be mounted on the desktop to be used with Retrospect.

The drive is mounted. I'm able to see it and use it from the desktop. How do you fix this? thanks

A USB hard drive is not "removable media," per se. You can get Retrospect to treat it as if it were removable by going to Preferences> Media Handling and checking the appropriate option.

However, consider that this requires that the entire USB drive be dedicated to the data portion of the particular backup set you want to store on the drive; everything else on the drive will be erased. Also, this configuration is a kludge in Retrospect, and you may find (as we did) that it can cause Retrospect to exhibit some anomalous behavior.

Unless you need to span multiple volumes with your backup set, I'd suggest using a file backup set instead of a removable disk set on your external hard drive.

Retrospect version 6.1. That is I think one of the problems. I did not know we had two versions of Retrospect installed in this Mac OS X server: 6.0 and 6.1. I just found out! Now I'm running 6.1 and is doing the restore normally. We wanted to backup certaing folders to a USB LaCie HD. I was instructed in the previous post to do a "file backup set instead of a removable disk set on your external hard drive." I did this in my machine HD and now I'm restoring the files to my USB HD. I want to create a backup directly to the external HD and the usual tape backup schedule, is this possible? thanks

I'll say it again. It would be helpful if you provided some configuration information:

Quote:

Retrospect version 6.1

Which version of Retrospect 6.1? Current version is 6.1.126 (unless you have an Intel Mac running Mac )S 10.4.7 or 10.4.8, server or non-server, in which case current version would be 6.1.131).

Which version of Retrospect Driver Update (RDU)? You don't say. Current version is 6.1.9.102.

Which version of Mac OS ? You don't say.

Mac OS Server or non-server? You don't say.

What model of computer? You don't say.

What model of "external USB LaCie Drive" ? You don't say.

We can't read your mind.

Once again, It would be helpful if you provided some configuration information (versions).

Russ

Ok.

Retrospect version= 6.1.126

Retrospect Driver Update=6.1.3.101

Retrospect Access Version=1.0.107

Mac OS= Mac OS X Server 10.4.6

Computer Model= RackMac 3.1

Model External HD= LaCie d2 Extreme, 250GB, 7200RPM, 8MB

Let me know if any more details are needed.

Well, for starters, your RDU is out of date. Current version is 6.1.9.102 and is available here:

Retrospect Mac updates

Could you please do that update and then report what problems remain? It seems that you may have resolved most of the issues except for this one, and it's not quite clear what you want to do:

Quote:

I want to create a backup directly to the external HD and the usual tape backup schedule, is this possible?

What do you mean by "a backup directly to the external HD" ? Have you tried to do a "file" backup to the external HD? Is this what you are not able to do?

What do you mean by "the usual tape backup schedule" ? Where are tapes involved in this process? Is the issue that you are not able to schedule your backups to the external HD? Have you tried?

What have you tried that has not worked?

Russ

Archived