how to erase used LTO tapes?

Just moved from System 9 on G4 DP backup server and Retrospect version 5 to MacPro version 6.1 workgroup using Sys 10.4.9.

Used tapes seem to be protected; erase option is not available. Cartridge icon is displayed in yellow.

I want to reuse several older backup tapes with Retrospect data files that are no longer needed.

Do I have to go back to my old system to be able to erase old LTO tapes used with Retrospect 5? That always worked!

Is there any way to reclaim them using 6.1 on new MacPro SCSI LTO (3580 IBM)?

TIA

Bob

Greetings, I am using LTO3 tapes with Retro 6.1 and have prepped (erased) my older tapes by just highlighting them in the config/devices window and clicking erase selected. When the tapes are first inserted retro reports the tape as "unreconized" but after the quick erase it shows as Untitiled and (erased).. Now retro will select it as needed to fulfill a backup set request.

Thanks for the response. I agree with you. That has been my experience using 5.x on system 9 and is what I expected when I moved the LTO unit to my newer MacPro and Retrospect 6.1.

Retrospect seems to be "seeing" the cartridge as WORM device that it can not erase. But I have been able to erase one tape that was not part of a backup set. I also re-catalogued an old set, had retrospect FORGET it and tried to then erase it with no success.

Have not yet found a solution.

Maybe someone else can help with a suggestion. TIA

Bob

I believe that the underlying problem is that the backup format changed from Retrospect 5 to Retrospect 6.1. Actually, it changed twice (Retrospect 5 to Retrospect 6.0, then again from 6.0 to 6.1).

While Retrospect can read the older format tapes (Retrospect 6.1 can even read some of my old DAT tapes that were made with Retrospect 2.0 fifteen years ago), it cannot write to them because they are in the older format, and a backup set cannot change formats mid-stream. This is documented in the release notes.

By erasing the tape, you are letting Retrospect forget the older backup set and put down a header that identifies the tape as a Retrospect 6.1 format tape.

I believe that you are seeing the expected (and by design) behavior.

Russ

Archived