Extremely slow duplication from server

All-

Just a quick ping on the "normalcy" of a Retrospect 6 server operation. The Retrospect server is a dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5, 10.4.8, 2GB of memory, running R6 with all updated RDUs everywhere. The server to be backed up is an Intel Xserve, quad Xeon, 3GB of memory. Machines are both running gig ethernet connections. I'm attempting to do a duplication of a server data volume in a D2D2T solution, however, it's taking what seems to be an unbelieviable amount of time - 8 or 9 hours for <300GB of data. A typical log entry is below:

+ Duplicate using 1. Nightly Srvr Data Replicate at 4/2/2007 9:00 PM

4/2/2007 9:00:02 PM: Connected to Server G5/1.8DP

- 4/2/2007 9:00:02 PM: Copying Server Data 1 on Server G5/1.8DP _

4/3/2007 12:42:23 AM: Comparing Backup Data 1_

> Can't read file ".DS_Store", error -43 (file/folder not found), path: "Server Data 1/Creative/WOX DVD/iDVD folder/.DS_Store".

4/3/2007 5:19:15 AM: 1 execution errors.

Completed: 156521 files, 290.3 GB

Performance: 1209.7 MB/minute (1385.5 copy, 1073.5 compare)

Duration: 08:19:13 (00:07:50 idle/loading/preparing)

My question is simply, is this a typical Retrospect operation time for this procedure/amount of data? I know that cloning is not Retrospect's primary function/strength, but I would like if possible to avoid a 2-pronged approach, especially one that involves setting up any sort of cloning software on the primary server itself, or mounting the server volume on the backup server.

If this is atypical, does anyone have a suggestion on where to start looking for issues or shaving time? And if not- any other suggestions for a quick clone of this drive?

Thanks in advance...

br

Quote:

any other suggestions for a quick clone of this drive?

the standard approach that is used for instantaneous imaging on servers that must always stay up is a RAID 1 mirror split. I've described it in detail so many times in these forums that I'm not going to repeat myself. Just search on my name and RAID. One such example is here:

RAID 1 mirror split

SoftRAID (www.softraid.com) has a white paper on their site describing the procedure, too.

But understand that this is not a backup, but instead is an image of the system at an instant.

russ

Quote:

'm attempting to do a duplication of a server data volume in a D2D2T solution, however, it's taking what seems to be an unbelieviable amount of time

You're seeing 1,385 Megabytes/Minute, for a total copy time of 3 hours, 42 minutes for 290 Gigabytes.

That's pretty fast.

But Retrospect Duplication suffers from a very slow "completing" stage, where it's believed to be setting permissions.

If you want to do this without the extra time of comparing the Source to the Destination, and to bypass the secondary permissions stage, use a different duplication utility. Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper! are two good ones.

Archived