Jump to content

Incomplete Path message on backup


Recommended Posts

Hello forum,

 

I am having a problem backing up using Retrospect 6.1 for Mac. The error message I am getting is File "Filename" appears incomplete path: "path" where "filename" and "path" are spelled out. Now, this only happens on the very last file of a group of files that I am backing up. In other words, it's as if Retrospect can't tell where the end of the file is, but only on the very last file of a large (several thousand) group of files that are being backed up. All other files back up just fine. I know that the file is on the hard drive and is intact, Retrospect just doesn't seem to know where the end of that file is when backing up.

 

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

 

I'm using a G4 Dual Processor 1000.

OS 10.4.9

Atto UL3D SCSI card

Quantum DLT-S4 tape drive (though the problem appears on a Quantum SDLT as well.

 

 

 

Tom Carlson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you please post the exact error message from your log with no obfuscations?

 

Quote:

Now, this only happens on the very last file of a group of files that I am backing up.

 


And how is the group of files being chosen? By a selector? As a Subvolume? By a manual selection in an Immediate backup?

 

Russ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry Russ for the "obfuscations." I realize that while this problem is very clear in my head, I need to communicate to others just as clearly.

 

The exact error message from my log is:

 

File "Cue 6M45.9.r" appears incomplete, path: "The Net CD/The Net CD Multi/CUE 6M45/CUE 6M45.9.r".

 

The log lists that as 1 execution error.

 

The group of files is being chosen as a manual selection in an Immediate backup. Each time I have had this error message the file does not backup completely. It is always the last file to backup and I get the error message upon the completion of verification. When I try to restore the file that is listed in the error message, it is indeed smaller than the source file on the hard drive. I have tried to back up the files using both a Quantum SDLT machine and a Quantum DLT-S4 machine with the same error message.

 

Hope that helps.

 

Tom Carlson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the more complete description of the problem. Your thread title, and your original post had me suspecting that the pathname being supplied to Retrospect was incomplete. From your clarification post I see that it's the file itself that is incomplete.

 

Sounds to me like either file system corruption or else some program has that file open while you are trying to back it up. I also wonder because of the start of that pathname ("/The Net CD/") whether this is not a multi-session CD where the last session has not been closed. Is that possible?

 

If this is a DVD / CD, then use Disk Utility in your Applications folder to check it.

 

If it's a CD / DVD that you are trying to back up, why aren't you using Disk Utility to make a copy? That's the right way to do that.

 

So far, I don't see anything to indicate that it's a retrospect issue. It would be interesting to try a Finder copy (select those files, option drag to a new folder on your desktop).

 

Russ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your response, Russ. The original source of these files is from recording sessions that I created on a scoring stage or on a mixing stage. That's why the name "/The Net CD/". The source of the files originally was from a SCSI hard drive. I backed the files up using Retrospect to SDLT. Because some of these film scores exist in only one place (these SDLT backups) I wanted to make a second copy for safekeeping. So I have restored the SDLT's one show at a time. A show can be anywhere from a few gigabytes to 120 gigabytes or so, depending on the size of the original mixes. I am then trying to back them up to DLT-S-4. I'm not sure why the final file that is getting backed up is not completing. This doesn't happen on every show. Also, I can make a good copy of these files in the finder. I'm actually thinking of doing a finder backup to a large hard drive until I can figure this out. That will give me a second copy for now.

 

The next thing I will try is to copy the last file that is backed up during the backup (the one that doesn't complete), keep the new copied file in the same folder as the original and give the copy a name such as zzzzz that will ensure that it will be the last file backed up. That way, if it is incomplete because it is the final file backed up, it won't matter, as long as the (now) second to last copy is complete. If that works, at least I'll know I have a complete backup.

 

Thanks for taking the time to think about this.

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, then with that explanation, I really think that you need to check the filesystem integrity while booted from the install DVD.

 

Also, from your description of the complete cycle, it sounds like the following:

 

(1) backed up using Retrospect to SDLT

(2) restored files one show at a time (to disk ?)

(3) now trying to back them up to tape (Quantum SDLT and Quantum DLT-54), for a second copy

 

Perhaps something went wrong on step (2). I'd check your filesystem.

 

You also have never said what versions of Retrospect and RDU you are using. Current updates are here:

Retrospect Mac updates

 

Russ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

The group of files is being chosen as a manual selection in an Immediate backup. Each time I have had this error message the file does not backup completely. It is always the last file to backup and I get the error message upon the completion of verification.

 


 

If you:

- select your group of files in the Browser window

- attempt the backup,

- get the error on the last file during verfication

then

- select the exact same group of files _except_ for the last one in th Browser window (assuming you're sorting by name)

- attempt the backup

do you get the error now on a different file, the one that's now last in the Browser list?

 

> I have tried to back up the files using both a Quantum SDLT machine and a Quantum

> DLT-S4 machine with the same error message.

 

What happens if you try the same Source files to a newly created File Backup Set?

 

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Russ,

 

The file system seems to be intact. I did as I said in my post and created one more file after the last one, which had been Bossa Nova.2.r on this particular show. I called the new file zEnd of Carpool.r.

 

Now that file didn't back up completely, but Bossa Nova.2.r which previously had not backed up did back up. In other words, the final file to back up is always the one that has the problem. If I create a "new last file" then I am able to back up all of the files that are on the hard disk that I am trying to back up that precede it. I know that seems convoluted. Hope it makes sense. Sorry my computer language isn't more precise. I'm just a music editor.

 

If I had to guess, I'd say the the Quantum is not putting a correct end of block (or whatever it's called) when it finishes it's backup cycle. But I couldn't say whether that is the tape drive or Retrospect or the Mac operating system. At least I have a good workaround for now. By the way, the file Bossa Nova.2.r restored correctly with my new system of adding one file at the end.

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

By the way, I'm running Mac OS 10.4.9. Might that have anything to do with this?

 


No. Your initial post had this information.

 

Quote:

I'm not running a server.

 


Ok, doesn't matter.

 

Quote:

I am using Retrospect 6.1.126 and Retrospect Driver Update 6.1.9.102.

 


Ok. Just wanted to make sure you had the latest versions, and you do.

 

This is very odd. I've never seen anything like it. Could you try the tests that Dave suggested?

 

Russ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Dave,

 

I followed your instructions, backing up all files _except_ the final file in the group. No error.

 

I also tried backing up _just_ the final file and got the error message.

 

I tried backing up to different tapes and backup sets and got the same error message.

 

As I mentioned above, if I duplicate the file that is the problem, I am able to back up (and restore) the errant file with no problems. I end up with one execution error as before, but it's just a "dummy" file anyway, so it doesn't matter. However, it does make me very nervous to have to use a workaround like this. Any other thoughts?

 

Thanks.

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, and another piece of data that might be important.

 

I am restoring the files using Retrospect 5.0 under System 9.2.2 on a dual boot computer. I am restoring to a SCSI drive that is erased to Mac OS extended non-journaled. I then reboot under OS X to do the backup of the restored files. I do this because the files were originally backed up using the SDLT tape drive with System 9.2.2 and that version of Retrospect.

 

I had gotten similar error messages on the restore that I was getting on the backup when I originally tried to restore using OS X and the most recent version of Retrospect. I was getting the same incomplete file error messages on the restore. I do not get these messages in OS 9.2.2 and using Retrospect 5.0. I know the files are good when I restore them with Retrospect 5.0, because I have tested them with the program they were originally created with (Sonic Solutions) and they function perfectly. I do a fresh restore after playing the files in Sonic though, just in case Sonic changes them. I want to have identical files to the ones I originally restored. The original files (going back to 1995 or so) were on HFS drives (Mac OS Standard format). Might that make a difference?

 

I have also checked out the hard drives using Disc Warrior in OS X to see if there is any problem with the file system and it reports that the drives are fine. Rebuilding the File System using Disc Warrior doesn't solve the backup error problem though (nor does sit create it).

 

Hope that helps.

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

I am restoring to a SCSI drive that is erased to Mac OS extended non-journaled. I then reboot under OS X to do the backup of the restored files.

 


There are quite a few SCSI cards that are not supported under Mac OS X (either by Apple/Mac OS or by Dantz/Retrospect or both.)

 

An internal hard drive would be better or even a Firewire hard drive.

 

There are a lot of issues with SCSI and Mac OS X.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:

There are quite a few SCSI cards that are not supported under Mac OS X (either by Apple/Mac OS or by Dantz/Retrospect or both.)

 

...

 

There are a lot of issues with SCSI and Mac OS X.

 


Not if you've got a supported card. His initial post says he has an ATTO UL3D, which should be fine, if he's got the current ATTO firmware and driver.

 

Quote:

I am restoring the files using Retrospect 5.0 under System 9.2.2 on a dual boot computer. I am restoring to a SCSI drive that is erased to Mac OS extended non-journaled. I then reboot under OS X to do the backup of the restored files. I do this because the files were originally backed up using the SDLT tape drive with System 9.2.2 and that version of Retrospect.

 


You should be able to restore these files using Retrospect 6.1. I have restored files using Retrospect 6.0 and 6.1 that were backed up with Retrospect 2.0. It would be interesting to try a restore with Retrospect 6.1 in case something is odd with the restore.

 

Quote:

I had gotten similar error messages on the restore that I was getting on the backup when I originally tried to restore using OS X and the most recent version of Retrospect. I was getting the same incomplete file error messages on the restore. I do not get these messages in OS 9.2.2 and using Retrospect 5.0.

 


This should not happen, and points to some problem with the original backup. I never used Retrospect 5.0 because of its problems, and went directly from Retrospect 4.3 to 6.0.

 

Quote:

I know the files are good when I restore them with Retrospect 5.0, because I have tested them with the program they were originally created with (Sonic Solutions) and they function perfectly. I do a fresh restore after playing the files in Sonic though, just in case Sonic changes them.

 


Yea, but that doesn't mean that there isn't something odd about the files and their insertion into the filesystem.

 

Quote:

I want to have identical files to the ones I originally restored. The original files (going back to 1995 or so) were on HFS drives (Mac OS Standard format). Might that make a difference?

 


No.

 

I'd really like to see the error messages on restore using Retrospect 6.1.126 and the current RDU 6.1.9.102, and to see whether files backed up after that restore had the same problem.

 

russ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...