Execution complete very fast but no files retrieved

I am running Retrospect 6.1.126 on a G5 Imac backing up to Sony AIT-2 tapes. I currently have about 8 catalogs that I retrieve files from and recently I have run into a problem where when I go to retrieve a file from a catalog the progress bar zips past and says execution complete and no files are retrieved. Retrospect doesn't even ask for a tape or anything. Once it gets in the sort of loop I can't get any files and I will have to reinstall retrospect and then add my catalogs back in and then it will work fine for a few days and then back to this. Previously it all was running fine for about 4 months and now I can only get about a day before this happens again. Does anyone have any ideas? Is it a OSX update that has caused this? Currently on OS 10.4.8.

thanks in adavnce for any help.

-Dan

Okay, I reloaded my original catalog from 8 months ago and now it works. Only issue is that it will go corrupt in a two or three days. Does anyone know what causes this? My catalogs are stored in a folder called "Catalogs" in the Retrospect folder in my applications folder.

thanks,

Dan

We'll need some more information before we can help.

What kind of Restore are you attempting to perform? Are you using a snapshot or searching for files? What is the intended destination for the restore?

If you're searching for files, what selection criteria are you using for your restore? If you're restoring from a snapshot, are you able to check the files in the selection window?

Is it possible that you may have inadvertently marked some of your tape members as "Missing?"

Where are your catalogs stored? Have you attempted to restore files from each of your 8 backup sets and been unsuccessful with each? Are you able to back up successfully to each backup set?

What if any Retrospect driver update (RDU) have you installed?

I will do my best to answer your quetions.. here goes...

What kind of Restore are you attempting to perform? Are you using a snapshot or searching for files? What is the intended destination for the restore?

(We do a search for an enclosing folder with the folder number we are looking for then select the files that we want and retrieve letting Retrospect prompt us for which tape to put in)

If you're searching for files, what selection criteria are you using for your restore? If you're restoring from a snapshot, are you able to check the files in the selection window?

(see above)

Is it possible that you may have inadvertently marked some of your tape members as "Missing?"

(I removed and added all my catalogs in from my backup, thats when it works again but only for about two days and then then they become corrupt)

Where are your catalogs stored? Have you attempted to restore files from each of your 8 backup sets and been unsuccessful with each? Are you able to back up successfully to each backup set?

(I store the catalogs in a folder called "Catalogs" in the Retrospect folder in my apps folder on my local drive.

(I have put on the 6_1_126 RDU with no change in performance)

Quote:

(I have put on the 6_1_126 RDU with no change in performance)

There is no such RDU version. Could you please post the first few lines in your log when Retrospect is booted so we can know what versions you are running? it should look something like:

Quote:

Retrospect version 6.1.126

launched at 3/27/2007 5:06 PM

Retrospect Driver Update, version 6.1.9.102

Updates are here:

Retrospect Mac updates

Current RDU is 6.1.9.102.

Quote:

Okay, I reloaded my original catalog from 8 months ago and now it works.

When you reload your catalog, do you update the catalog? (Tools > Repair)

Russ

> I reloaded my original catalog from 8 months ago and now it works.

Assuming that this means you had backups of your Catalog files, this is a good thing; everybody should keep backups of these critical data files.

> Only issue is that it will go corrupt in a two or three days

How do you know?

Please describe events that have already occurred, instead of events you anticipate.

But if you suspect that your Catalog will become corrupt, now would be an excellent time to describe, completely and accurately, your hardware and software configuration. While Retrospect users do sometimes report corrupted Catalog files, a system where it happens regularly probably has an issue.

Archived