Files not getting backed up due to permission problems

arnstein

I have configured Retrospect to run as "Administrator" instead of the local system account. I seem to recall reading on this forum that this prevents problems.

I just noticed that one of my files is not getting backed up at all. I believe that it is because of the file's permissions: only the owner can read this file, and the owner is not "Administrator."

I see now that thousands of files on my peecee have the same permission set. So my backups are not complete! What should I do?

I am using Windows XP service pack 2, Retrospect 7.5.370

Please ignore this post. The peecee in question is behaving strangely. I do not think Retrospect is having problems with permissions.

I can find only one file that is not getting backed up. One interesting thing about this file is that its size and modification date never change. I have been modifying this file several times a day, without changing its size. For some reason, the NTFS file system does not change any dates associated with this file (except the "accessed" date).

I guess that Retrospect uses NTFS modification dates to decide when a file needs to be backed up. Can anyone confirm this?

Quote:

I guess that Retrospect uses NTFS modification dates to decide when a file needs to be backed up. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes.

Problematic files like this are often seen with some database and accounting programs that manage their own records using an index into a larger database, and which don't append but write to the middle of files. We identified a few of these files years ago while testing Retrospect with our accounting system prior to deployment, and we just define the directory holding those files as a subvolume, and then force that entire subvolume to be backed up every night regardless of the dates and regardless of whether there were modifications.

Russ

Archived