Quits after doing an action--while attended! What setting am I missing?

I have played around a bunch with the settings, but something that's bothered me for a year+ is that Retrospect quits after it does a backup-- even if I've launched that from within the program--that is via running a script!

The only preference I've found to control this is labeled "unattended" which should apply to automatic backups.

I'd like to Retrospect quit after automatic backups, but remain in the program when I run scripts.

Is there any way of doing that? Which setting have I missed?

Thanks!

If you visit the "run" menu and select an existing script, Retrospect will then be in "unattended" mode and will behave the same as if the script had been scheduled.

You can use the "Control" menu to switch between "Run Unattended" and "Run Interactively" anytime you want to. Note how the cursor changes when these modes are switched.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply. On the Mac, there is no Control menu. I'm using 6.1.126.

Is it under some other setting? I do see "Run Control" if I go to Prefs first, but no interactive choice.

I just wish Retrospect were smart enough to know that it's running, so that when one launches a script from within the program, it would do it and then return to the program-- rather than QUIT!

Is the setting you mentioned something that would allow that?

Quote:

On the Mac, there is no Control menu. I'm using 6.1.126.

Yes there is; but only when a backup is in process.

> I'd like to Retrospect quit after automatic backups, but remain in the program when I run scripts.

When you "run" a script via the Run menu, or via a run document, Retrospect behaves the same way as it does when that script was started via a schedule. Scripts are scripts, and that's how they behave.

Retrospect is smart enough not to quit if there are other pending scripts within the configured look ahead timeframe, but the program has no way of knowing if the user intends to manually initiate an otherwise un-scheduled script; it has only the list of schedules to go on.

Immediate executions are not scripts, and they behave differently.

As I noted above, you can switch to Attended mode, but only after the initial scanning is complete, which might take a long time depending on the number of items in the Source.

Thanks for the response.

Never saw that menu before as I'm never interacting with the program when it's backing up!

In any event, a script must pass control back to the program in order to know whether to quit or remain in the program--that is, depending on what the preference for "unattended" is. So, how hard would it be for the program to know whether the script was initiated from within the program vs. a timed, scheduled one?!

I guess what I'll to do is to remember to change the preference to "Stay in Retro" before any manually initiated scripts, e.g., when I'm testing something or it's "forgotten" to execute a script!

Perhaps you can shed some light on a related issue: I've set the pref for Look Ahead time to 12 hours, but if the ext. hard drive is not connected in the morning but connected later on in the day, it rarely if ever runs the script. I think, IIRC, that it will run it if I launch Retro manually, however.

Is there some pref setting I've missed or one I've set wrong to make it check every now and then to see if the media is available?

Quote:

Is there some pref setting I've missed or one I've set wrong to make it check every now and then to see if the media is available?

You haven't provided a complete description of your setup, omitting, for example, what Type of Backup Set you are using.

For Backup Sets that provide Media Request windows (Tape, Removable) then Retrospect will continue to ask for missing media Members for as long as your preferences are set for it to do so.

For Backup Sets that expect the Destination to be available at the time the script is run (File, Internet) then you get one shot; if the Destination is unavailable, you get an error (that's why the program includes a feature to Check on your Media before it's quite the time before).

Dave

None of mine are set up to prompt me. I'd like them to run automatically in the background, but thought that they sometimes hung around waiting or retrying if they didn't find the external hard drive. Maybe I'm mis-remembering. In any event, I wish it would work that way! Maybe there's a script option I've overlooked??

Also, I take it then that the Animate dock icon when waiting for media won't work? For example, if a script is set to run automatically, and it finds no media, the icon won't bounce? Just want to be sure.

Quote:

I'd like them to run automatically in the background, but thought that they sometimes hung around waiting or retrying if they didn't find the external hard drive.

Perhaps you're thinking of Backup Server scripts? Once Backup Server is launched, it will constantly check for and use the various destination backup sets called for by the active Backup Server script(s) as the media becomes available.

Backup Server will also never quit on its own once launched (you have to quit it manually), though particular scripts will become active or inactive according to whatever schedule you've written into the script.

Quote:

None of mine are set up to prompt me.

Ah. Well, that explains pretty much nothing.

If the information that has been provided to you so far has not helped, perhaps you can take the time to describe your configure more fully. Four posts in, and the Type of Backup Set you are using still has not been shared with Forum readers.

Forgive me! I do not know the ins and outs of Retrospect as well as you do!

I have set up several backup scripts. They back up selected folders (e.g., Home) to an external hard drive. I'm an individual user.

What you mean by Type of Backup Set? I do not know what a Backup Server Set is. I'm using plain old Retrospect Backup. I simply followed the directions on setting up automatic back ups. A script gets created. It's available from the Run menu. I edit it by clicking Automate and then Scripts.

It runs automatically according to whatever schedule I've set up. Hope that clarifies matters. I checked my scripts and didn't find anything that mentioned type of backup set.

(Ah, I just explored creating a new script and was prompted for 5 different types of scripts. Did you mean "type of script"? Mine are just a plain old regular Backup scripts.)

I would like two things to happen:

1) When the external hard drive is not on, and so a back up could not be done, for Retrospect to be smart enough to do the backup as soon as the drive is turned on (a queue in other words--or a monitoring of whether the script has run or not). I had thought that the pref choice about waiting for media, or bounce icon in dock, would be activated in such circumstances, but from what you've reported, I guess not!

2) When I run a script manually from within Retrospect for it to NOT quit afterwards. It seems that "unattended" pref choice controls that situation even though the program is being attended to! (From what you've written, "unattended" actually means a non-interactive script rather than whether Retro is running and the script has been launched manually.)

As to #2, I can do a work around-- I have to remember to change the pref setting before any manual running of a script--and then change the pref back afterwards. An irritant, but one I guess I have to live with.

#2 arises because of #1. It often occurs that I'll discover that no back up has been made because the drive was off. When that happens, I run several scripts manually. (Note: I don't run the drive 24/7. Yes, I know that drives can run and run and turning off and on can be tough on them, but I need to remove my laptop from time to time, and I'd rather save some electricity-- and some external drives don't sleep properly and their fan noise is bothersome.)

Quote:

What you mean by Type of Backup Set?

The term "Backup Set" is what Retrospect uses to describe the destination of your backup data. The type refers to the specific media to be used and how the data is stored. You can have multiple backup sets, and any of your scripts can back up to whatever backup set you choose.

Quote:

I simply followed the directions on setting up automatic back ups. A script gets created. It's available from the Run menu. I edit it by clicking Automate and then Scripts.

It sounds like you've been using the Easy Script button. While this isn't bad to do for your first script, it will default to creating a new backup set for every additional easy script you write, which may give you more backup sets than you need or want. A better approach might be to go to Automate> Scripts and select "New."

Quote:

I checked my scripts and didn't find anything that mentioned type of backup set.

Go to Configure> Backup Sets> Configure [name of backup set].

Quote:

Mine are just a plain old regular Backup scripts.

No such thing. If I were to guess, though, I'd think you probably mean you are running Normal backups to a File Backup Set.

Quote:

I would like two things to happen:

1) When the external hard drive is not on, and so a back up could not be done, for Retrospect to be smart enough to do the backup as soon as the drive is turned on.

The best way to achieve this would probably be to write a Backup Server script, using as a destination for your backup one of the file backup sets you've created on the external drive.

Alternatively, you could go to Special> Preferences> Notification and deselect the option "Automatically launch Retrospect." That way, your scripts would run only after you manually launch Retrospect. Scripts that were scheduled to run before that time would run just as soon as you launched Retrospect.

Quote:

2) When I run a script manually from within Retrospect for it to NOT quit afterwards. It seems that "unattended" pref choice controls that situation even though the program is being attended to! (From what you've written, "unattended" actually means a non-interactive script rather than whether Retro is running and the script has been launched manually.)

As to #2, I can do a work around-- I have to remember to change the pref setting before any manual running of a script--and then change the pref back afterwards. An irritant, but one I guess I have to live with.

Actually, you can simply do as Dave suggests. Launch your script from the Run Menu. The Control menu will then appear (you'll have to wait until the source volume has been scanned). Then select "Run Interactively" from the Control menu (you'll need to enter your password).

Quote:

Forgive me! I do not know the ins and outs of Retrospect as well as you do!

That may be so, but I would strongly suggest you spend at least a little time with the User's Guide.

Actually, I'm an experienced--but basic user--of Retrospect going back about 15 years... along with having read the older printed manuals virtually cover to cover. But with the advent of electronic PDF manuals, I don't do that any more! (Plus, the net and boards are filled with friendly and fast responders.)

To create a new script, I have done for years what you said. I go to Retro Directory, select Automate, then Scripts, then New. Try it! You'll see that indeed one of the choices there is "Backup" as opposed to "Duplicate" or "Backup Server" script. SO THERE IS SUCH A THING as a Backup script!

I can remember trying an Easy Script years ago, but giving up as it was too limiting. So, I've always used the process just described.

NOW, as to Backup Sets... if Backup Set simply means the media it's being backed up to, then I did describe that in earlier posts-- to an external hard drive! And yes, as you've divined, I'm using a File Backup. (Removable wouldn't work given that it's a Firewire fixed hard drive-- hee! hee!) These are mostly Normal backups, with occasional Recycle backups.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest some options! As to #1... I'll rummage a little... converting to Backup Server scripts could do the trick! (I'll just budget some real free time to it--both to read the manual and trouble-shoot the inevitable gotchas!) But that would be better than having to manually launch Retrospect-- that defeats the purpose of automatic backups!

As to #2, it's probably easiest to just stick with the manual change to the supposed "unattended" prefs. That would be easier than having to change the script to interactive and enter a password for each one-- that's two dialog boxes as opposed to 1--and the interactive change would have to be done for each script.

By the way, as to the User's Guide... I just looked up "unattended" and found mis-uses and mis-definitions! For example, it stated, "If you want to automate your backups so they can be performed while the backup computer is unattended (e.g. at night), you can..." p. 50 . On p. 64 it describes the Unattended prefs... "allows you to schedule scripts to run automatically and unattended, so you can choose operating times that are most convenient for you and other users. " again implying unattended means when the user is away!

I couldn't find a clear explanation that "unattended" really DOESN'T mean that you are not at the computer... as in, automatic script running (unattended) vs. manually invoking it (attended). Even the glossary def is misleading, "Unattended mode assumes no one is currently at the backup computer." Hence, if I'm at the computer, launch a script from within Retro, I'm attending to it! So it shouldn't Quit! They really should have used different lingo than "unattended"! Perhaps "automatic" vs. "interactive".

That's the problem with PDF versions... In a physical manual, I'd browse through the guide, reading sections, flip back and forth. Their description on p. 150, for example, does explain what you all have stated--"All automatic executions, run documents, and scripts launched from the Run menu default to unattended mode." Even though, I would add, that the user is very much in attendance!

Appreciate your taking the time to wade through my posts. If I can get the Backup Server option working, then #2 will be moot! Thanks for all your help!

Quote:

To create a new script, I have done for years what you said. I go to Retro Directory, select Automate, then Scripts, then New. Try it! You'll see that indeed one of the choices there is "Backup" as opposed to "Duplicate" or "Backup Server" script. SO THERE IS SUCH A THING as a Backup script!

Twickland never claimed that there was no such thing as a Backup script.

Twickland was observing that "what Type of Backup Set are you using?" cannot be accurately answered with "a plain old regular Backup script." "Backup script" is not a Type of Backup Set.

> I'm using a File Backup.

Bingo. When you created your Backup Set as you descibe above, you were prompted to decide on what Type you wanted it to be.

> (Removable wouldn't work given that it's a Firewire fixed hard drive-- hee! hee!)

Actually, with the introduction of Retrospect 5.1, fixed platter FireWire and USB hard drives can be treated as if they were removable devices. Hence the request for specific information.

Archived