Restoring a boot drive - problem

Hi, I have 2 computers, one 6 month old MacBook and one G4 tower, that have boot drives that need to be replaced. The problem for both is we want to replace with larger new drives. I asked a similar query last year and rec'd the answer below which worked at the time. I tried this approach on the MacBook and had the following problems:

1. hooked up the MacBook in firewire mode and did a full backup of disk using a simple retrospect backup script written for this drive which was now a peripheral firewire drive on my Mac running Retrospect (current version).

2. we swapped out the hard disk on the macbook, and reinstalled the OS and updated to OS10.4.9.

3. I again hooked up the MacBook in firewire mode and did a full restore of disk using as a peripheral firewire drive on my Mac running Retrospect.

4. MacBook would now not reboot.

5. I rebooted the MacBook with the OS Software Installer DVD that came with the MacBook, and ran repair permissions. It seemed to repair most of the files on the disk.

6. MacBook rebooted but at least one kernel was missing according to a unix geek who I asked for help. He found the missing system file and put it on the MacBook. Sorry but I really don't know exactly what he did.

7. MacBook now seems to be working but this was a lot of effort.

My question is why did Retrospect not do a complete accurate duplication since the target disk was inactive and in firewire mode? The suggestion at end of this post worked fine on a pre-Intel Mac last year.

For the G4 disk that I need to swap out, what is the best strategy for moving the contents of the boot drive to a new larger drive? I want to avoid the hassle above. For the G4 (unlike the MacBook) I can put the new disk in another bay in the same computer as the boot disk; I can then reboot in firewire mode and run retrospect from another G4 in the office. If the disk is in firewire mode, why should there be any busy files? - it would seem that I shouldn't need to install the OS onto the new hard disk prior to running the restore, because there should be no busy files when the computer to be backed up is in the firewire mode.

I really miss OS9 where I could just drag the System Folder to make a boot disk; my unix geek tells me that this is irrelevant for OS X which I understand (to some extent).

I checked the manual again and it really doesn't say much about duplicating a boot drive, and it's unclear if restore or duplicate is preferable. The only hint was to uncheck "ignore privleges" which I did, but then after the restore above, all the privleges were messed up anyway.

Maybe Carbon Copy Cloner is preferable?

thanks

" The best way, in my opinion, is the way suggested in the Retrospect manual:

First to an install from your Mac OS X install disk, then bring the install forward with OS updates and security patches so it is at the same level as the OS used when you made the backup. Then use Retrospect to do a restore of everything on top of that. A full explanation of why would be a lengthy treatise, but it has to do with backing up busy files."

First of all, thanks for a complete, step-by-step account of what you did. It always makes it easier to spot what went wrong.

For you, step 2 (part B) was unnecessary.

The only reason to install system software on a new drive is when you are doing a "live" restore. Since you have multiple boot sources available, such a method wasn't warranted.

If step 1 included copying over all the files from the old drive into a Backup Set, then step 2 should have been simply to Restore all of those copied files to a new, freshly formatted, empty volume. Done.

For your needs, either Backup/Restore or Duplicate with Retrospect will work. There are also lots of other options, such as CCC that you mentioned, or Disk Utility or SuperDuper!

Archived