Since Retrospect v 6.1.126 w/ driver update v 6.1.9.102 tends to crash (hang) a lot (16% of the time) while backing up to DVD on my Mac Pro (10.4.9, 4 gigs RAM, Pioneer DVD DL (5.12) v AB09)...

When it hangs the program stops responding and the DVD stops writing... you can attempt to cancel the backup but it never succeeds and you have to force quit both Retrospect and the Finder... restart while holding down the mouse button to eject the DVD.. throw the DVD away and restart Retrospect and start the backup again. It'll start backing up with the same member number as the DVD it crashed on.

So say I start my backup today and the first member is number 44... it continues and hangs on member 48 -- force quit, .. reboot, restart Retrospect and start the backup again it starts with member number 48 and then hangs again on member 53, etc... Eventually you reboot and start the backup again at member 73 and finish succesfully with member 78. Only members 73 through 78 are verified. If I want to verify members 44 through 73 the only option is to start from member number 1.

Could we please have the option to verify members starting from a user defined member number.

Thanks,

Rail Jon Rogut

DVR-111D

DVD +R (Memorex)

I spoke to tech support when I first upgraded to Retrospect and used it on my Mac Pro.. they said this firmware wasn't tested yet... It does work most of the time.. it's the 16% where it doesn't which is the problem.

I can live with the crashes/hangs but having to verify back from member 1 is the problem.

Thanks,

Rail

Quote:

DVR-111D

That drive has been fully qualified now and is fully supported, so it shouldn't be an issue:

DVR-111D

You've got the current version of Retrospect (6.1.126) and RDU (6.1.9.102) so you should be good to go.

Some people are having issues with the Core Duo, but you don't indicate that you've got one of those, so that shouldn't be an issue either. You are running 10.4.9, which eliminates the ACL crash issue. You've got plenty of memory (4 GB), so that shouldn't be an issue.

There has been a recent report in another thread of someone who believes that 4 GB of RAM can cause crashes/hangs when backing up to DVD. You might want to investigate that thread:

Retrospect hangs when backing up to DVD and > 2 GB RAM ?

There's a bit of, um, contentiousness in that thread, and I'm not convinced that it's not a marginal memory issue for that person, but I pass it along. Our Xserve G5 has lots of memory and has no problems, but, then again, I don't back up to DVD, only to tape in our autoloader.

Quote:

I can live with the crashes/hangs but having to verify back from member 1 is the problem.

I feel your pain. Watch out with the force quits - that can corrupt Retrospect's preferences, which might cause a crashing problem for that reason.

On a side note, don't hold your breath for such a feature enhancement to the program. I've been waiting a couple of years for a working mouse scroll wheel and a fix for the ignoring of pre-named, barcoded, erased tapes in an autoloader. I think that both of those things are much simpler to do than the change that you are requesting. Perhaps your enhancement will come with the Universal Binary version of Retrospect (grin), the lack of which is holding up our migration to an Intel Xserve.

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I just read the >2GB thread.. hmm... not sure if I'm in the mood to pull out my RAM ;^)

I have no choice but to force quit... I'll try trashing my prefs and see if things improve.

When I spoke to tech support they told me that the DVR111D was supported with an earlier revision of the firmware than mine has... so I think it's not fully qualified (in my case).

I'm figuring this may take a while (if ever) to be included in the software, but I had to ask.

Using my MacBook to run Retrospect and backup my internal drives on my Mac Pro (in target mode) works perfectly -- but the DVR in the MacBook is a lot slower. Hey, it only has 2 gigs of RAM! ;^D

Thanks again for your time.

Rail

Archived