Retrospect 6.1.126 closes immediatly after launch- dock icon moves, logo displays, then dies

I am running Retrospect 6.1.126 No-ACL version a a XServe 10.4 box. It was running fine for a while, but now when I attempt to start the Retrospect applications the Dock icon bounces as it starts. Then a space for the logo appears (not actual logo appears) and then the application dies. I never get an authentication box or see the actual retrospect logo. There are no other windows open, and I have tried to relaunch the Finder. The desktop is bare of all windows, so no boxes could be hiding anywhere. Anyone else have this issue before? I will have someone reboot the server off hours, but I doubt this will fix anything.

Thanks

Tom Reminga

Quote:

I am running Retrospect 6.1.126 No-ACL version a a XServe 10.4 box.

The "No-ACL" version of Retrospect is 6.1.131. Version 6.1.126 doesn't have the ACL bypass hack.

You don't say whether yours is an Intel Xserve or an Xserve G5 or Xserve G4. Which do you have? If you don't have an Intel Xserve, you should be running Retrospect 6.1.126. If you have an Intel Xserve, you should be running Retrospect 6.1.131 (the "No ACL" version). Are you sure you are running the correct version for your Xserve?

Retrospect 6.1.126 is here:

Retrospect 6.1.126

Retrospect 6.1.131 (No ACL) is here:

Retrospect 6.1.131 (No ACL)

You dn't say what RDU (Retrospect Driver Update) you are running. That's not your problem now that is causing the crashing, but RDU 6.1.9.102 is here:

RDU 6.1.9.102

All that said, it sounds like you have a corrupt preference that is preventing Retrospect from launching.

Try dragging the following files to the Desktop, see if Retrospect will launch:

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Retro.Config (6.0)

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/Operations Log

/Library/Preferences/Retrospect/retrorunfile

You will have to re-enter the license code and set some preferences.

As a precaution, in case you have some file system issues that are causing all of this, you might want to boot from the install DVD and check the file system.

russ

Archived