How to verify link between Catalog and data

Hope this isn't too basic a question, but my work colleague has cast doubt on integrity of Catalog. I may have other Backup sets sitting there in the list which I maybe need to "Forget". The whole Retrospect scheme is starting to gel, but I need to sort this one and feel OK about it. I have a Retrospect Catalog folder in my root directory. I have been backing up successfully from 3 volumes. Would I be warned if I didn't have an accessible catalog? Is there a simple test to show the link with my nightly backups and the Catalog I ASSUME it pertains to? If further detail is needed I can post it from work tomorrow, where the backing up is happening. dohgrem.gif

Appreciate all answers! It's like a jigsaw puzzle, but does have it's own logic somewhere. When I go Configure>Backup Sets>Configure, I get 2 listings for Backup Set A. After the Configure button is hit for the first it opens a Finder and points to the Catalog Folder.

On the second one, which has the most recent Backup DATE next to it, hitting Configure opens the Summary/Options/Snapshots/Members window. Is this normal?...to have these 2 same-name items co-existing?

Also, is it possible to actually open files via Reports>Contents[view Backup sets contents]>Browse. Or are you merely viewing the Catalog listing. What I'm asking is, it's not possible to actually access files from, say, a backup Firewire. That data is there for a full Restore session only, correct?

Hope this makes enough sense.

Quote:

Appreciate all answers! It's like a jigsaw puzzle, but does have it's own logic somewhere. When I go Configure>Backup Sets>Configure, I get 2 listings for Backup Set A. After the Configure button is hit for the first it opens a Finder and points to the Catalog Folder.

On the second one, which has the most recent Backup DATE next to it, hitting Configure opens the Summary/Options/Snapshots/Members window. Is this normal?...to have these 2 same-name items co-existing?

Also, is it possible to actually open files via Reports>Contents[view Backup sets contents]>Browse. Or are you merely viewing the Catalog listing. What I'm asking is, it's not possible to actually access files from, say, a backup Firewire. That data is there for a full Restore session only, correct?

Hope this makes enough sense.

The first catalog file is missing, since Retrospect prompts you to find it.

The second catalog seems correct; you should see the Summary/Options/Snapshots/Members window.

I don't think they have the same name, there is probably a space in one of the name that you can't see.

If you have no use for the first (missing) backup set, you can delete it ("forget").

You may also rename the second one to something more descriptive.

You may restore single files as well as a whole volume, but that must be done using the Restore command.

Using the Reports>Contents[view Backup sets contents]>Browse you can only see information about the files, not access them.

Archived