Best Proceedure Rolling Backup

I have X Serve and tape backup we have 20 tapes

5 - Green

5 - Blue

5 - Red

5 - Black

Each individually labeled Monday - Friday.

I just reset everything up hoping this is a good solution.

I created backup sets for each day of the week,

And 4 Scripts for each color set the script runs backing up 3 sources.

The first set in my case is Green all tapes in the green group are set to recycle.

the script runs daily backing up to a different Catalog each day., running once every 4 weeks.

So if I understand things every day of the green week the entire sources are copied

to the tapes. Then the following monday i insert blue tape and it copies everything that has

changed since the last monday?

If disaster strikes I only need my last tape to restore everything?

So for the next three weeks I need to make sure all my tapes are erased so that every thing is copied

each night so each tape includes my entire source contents.

I am confused when to use new tape? when I do that I have to manually erase the tapes prior to use.

By that time 4 weeks have gone buy the contents on the tape could be rewritten. i guess.

What is the best solution so that I can use the most current tape of the weeks tape for disaster recovery.

and or go back a week or too when someone says OOPS they deleted or a file or something.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to describe, so I start out with a few basic pieces of information.

A backup set is what you backup to. A backup set in your case consists of a catalog file and a bunch of tapes.

Every time you perform a normal backup to a backup set, Retrospect copies all files that have changed since you used that particular backup set the last time.

It isn't clear how many days of work you can afford to lose. If you can afford up to a week, you do a recyle backup on Saturdays and use the same backup set until Friday. You use the Green tapes on week 1,5,9, Blue on 2,6,10, Red on 3,7,11 and Black on 4,8,12.

If you can afford only one day, you need to do something else and change tapes EVERY day. It's best to store the tapes off site (regardless of which schedule you use).

Also, do you want to store a set of tapes for a long time for archival purposes?

How many tapes are needed for a full backup?

If disaster strikes you need ALL tapes from the backup set that was last used as a backup.

we don't want to loose more than one day's work

we change tapes daily hence we have 20 tapes. (m - f)

All our data fits on one tape.

The idea is that we have a water/fire proof safe and put the tapes in that - we were taking them offsite but when it came time for them to come back and be recycled the person in charge forgot them then we were with out backup for the day.

So you are saying I may need a catalog for every Color Day combo? GreenMonday, GreenTusday, GreenWednesday, etc.

Then my color named script would backup to that specific tape?

because if i understand this correctly if I store them to one "Monday" backup set then next monday rolls around and I update the red Monday tape this makes it impossible to restore from the green Monday tape because the catalog has been updated? The monday tape(s) and monday catalog is used one day (mondays) every 4 weeks.

Now I understand.

Yes, you need 20 backup sets: MondayGreen, TuesdayGreen, ....

Then you need 20 scripts, each runs one day every 4 weeks. (Do a "recycle media" backup).

Then (since everything fits on just one tape) you need just the last tape to restore everything.

But with this scheme you can never restore anything older than 4 weeks, if you need to.

Quote:

Then you need 20 scripts, each runs one day every 4 weeks.

Actually, no.

If the sources, the type of backup, and the selection criteria are the same, you only need as few as one single script. Simply include all the destination backup sets, and then include multiple Schedulers, one for each destination and repeating backup interval. In the case of 20 backup sets, each covering only one day of the week, repeating at 4 week intervals, that would be 20 schedulers.

Using multiple schedulers where possible in lieu of multiple scripts makes it easier to keep track of what's being done, as well as facilitating a change in the backup pattern, should that be desired at some point.

I do wonder if Paradigm really needs/wants 20 backup sets. Four would seem more than adequate. Backing up to a given set for 5 days using normal incremental backups is unlikely to pose a huge problem in the event that a restore is required, and it will eat up a lot less time and tape.

Of course, only the user can ultimately determine what is most reasonable for his/her backup needs. Paradigm, if you give us a better idea of what you want to achieve, we might be able to offer some alternative ideas to the scheme you're now considering.

Quote:

If the sources, the type of backup, and the selection criteria are the same, you only need as few as one single script. Simply include all the destination backup sets, and then include multiple Schedulers, one for each destination and repeating backup interval. In the case of 20 backup sets, each covering only one day of the week, repeating at 4 week intervals, that would be 20 schedulers.

Of course. How silly of me to think otherwise.

Archived