automated backups - select backup set segment

hello there!

im pretty new to using retrospect - we have just set up a backup server last week to backup our webservers. i set up multiple backup scripts to automate this task - however, on the second scheduled execution, i am asked for the backup sets path (which is quite impractical for automated tasks). does anyone have any idea where i can change this so that the tasks complete without user interaction?

currently they are set up in the following manner:

normal backup (recycling backup produced the same result) of a approx 10 GB partition (system)

the backup set has a 100GB quota assigned to it - saved to a distinct folder and keeping the last 1 backup (there should be plenty of space left on the media)

software compression is enabled along with media verification

scheduled to run once per week

the first execution completed successfully. however, during the next automated run, i receive an email "waiting for media"´and the server prompts me to select the "backup-set-segment". once i have done this (which is already too much user interaction as it is) i am allowed to select the it is "missing" or "skip"....

if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be, i would deeply appreciate it - as this is driving me mad! im sure its just a small configuration problem but the manual and internet didnt seem to help. also, please excuse any incorrect definitions - im using the german version and am guessing on most of those

thanks in advance!

JJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with one difference. I'm using DVD-RAM as backup media.

The configuration is as follows. The device is set to 'ignored' in order to use drive letter access to it. For Packet Writing I use InCD. The first backup to a new Backup Set works fine, but if I want to append to an existing backup set, Retrospect asks me for the next backup-set-segment. Although the correct media is inserted (At the moment I have only two...), Retrospect gives me the choice to skip the wanted backup-set-segment or to set this backup-set-segment as missing.

Abe

Quote:

however, on the second scheduled execution, i am asked for the backup sets path (which is quite impractical for automated tasks). does anyone have any idea where i can change this so that the tasks complete without user interaction?

That is because someone (you?) renamed the files, moved the files or placed the files offline since last access.

My guess is that you used "My Network Places" instead of a drive letter. You must assign a drive letter, otherwise the volume is offline by definition.

Quote:

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with one difference. I'm using DVD-RAM as backup media.

The configuration is as follows. The device is set to 'ignored' in order to use drive letter access to it. For Packet Writing I use InCD. The first backup to a new Backup Set works fine, but if I want to append to an existing backup set, Retrospect asks me for the next backup-set-segment. Although the correct media is inserted (At the moment I have only two...), Retrospect gives me the choice to skip the wanted backup-set-segment or to set this backup-set-segment as missing.

Abe

No, your problem is completely different, since you are not asked for a path to the backup set. Please start a new thread with more information.

I quote rhwalker.

Please provide:

(1) complete version number of Retrospect

(2) complete version number of Retrospect Driver Update

(3) complete version number of the OS

(4) complete description of hardware being used.

(5) complete description of the steps you are doing

(6) complete description of the problem

Quote:

That is because someone (you?) renamed the files, moved the files or placed the files offline since last access.

My guess is that you used "My Network Places" instead of a drive letter. You must assign a drive letter, otherwise the volume is offline by definition.

well, that would be nice, however, thats not the problem. neither the files or folders have been renamed, moved, deleted, or anything. i specified the local drive letter, using "browse", so that shouldnt be the problem. currently the server is set up with 2 partitions:

c:\ = system + retrospect installation with approx 100GB total space

d:\ = backups with approx 6 terrabyte disk space

• 3 weeks later...

Archived