i need backup help

I have been trying to use my Restrospect Express, and I have had no success. First, I tried to backup with a CD-RW, and I always get the error message: Device trouble: "1-Backup Set A", error-103 (unexpected beginning of media). Then, I tried a couple different CD-R discs, and got messages that said data could not be erased. I realize that CD-R discs are not erasable, but they were new discs, so there should not have been anything to erase. Do I need to purchase different discs, or what should I try to do? Please help!

In Retrospect, I have 3 items listed. 1) Vendor: WDC WD40; Product: 0BB-53CAA0; Version: 16.0 2) Vendor: HL-DT-ST; Product: DVD-ROMGDR8160B; Version: 0014

3) Vendor: LITE-ON; Product: LTR-24102B; Version: 5GS4; Driver: LITE-ON CD-RW (1.52)

Thank you

Try using a name brand media, such as Sony, TDK or Verbatim. Media quality can play a big role in backup when using CD drives.

Make sure ASPI is properly installed (ASPICHK.EXE located in the Retrospect program folder). If it is not properly installed, use ASPIINST.EXE (also located in the Retrospect program folder).

I bought some new Sony CD-R's, and I tried the backup again. It got somewhere this time, though not very far--it completed only 1 KB, but it is further than I have gotten so far. However, I then got an error-100 message saying the device rejected the command, and I am not sure what to try to do next.

I tried one of the CD's, and I found out my ASPI wasn't installed correctly, so I ran ASPIINST to fix that problem. Since I used a CD-R, and 1 file wrote onto it, I cannot use it again since it is not re-writable, right? Before I use another CD, I wanted to see if there is anything else I should check or try to do besides fixing ASPI.

Thanks

An error -100 is reported by the hardware itself and can be an indication of many things. I've listed below some things to check for when getting these kinds of errors. This is a relatively common error and I suspect that with a little troubleshooting you'll be able to isolate and fix the problem.

Try *temporarily* uninstalling any other CD-writing utilities, in case extraneous drivers are conflicting with Retrospect. If you are using DirectCD, this can cause a conflict; I've included directions below on how to disable some functions of the software that may interfere with Retrospect.

Turn off the Auto Insert notification for Windows. This feature makes the operating system automatically mount a CD on the desktop when you insert it, but can interfere with Retrospect. To disable it, right-click on your CD drive in the device manager.

Is this Windows NT or 2000? If so, enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

If you still don't have any luck, I'd recommend the following hardware troubleshooting steps.

Try straightening out the internal ribbon cabling.

Try switching master and slave settings.

Try new internal cabling.

Try updating the firmware on the device if possible (see the drive manufacturer's website).

Are the drivers for the IDE controller current? Try updating them with an approved update from your PC vendor.

Finally, try bringing this drive to another PC and trying the backup. If it works here, you could be having a problem with either the ATAPI bus on the original machine or with the PC itself.

-----------

Disabling Direct CD and Easy CD Creator

There are three possible scenarios:

1) You have both components of the program (Direct CD and Easy CD Creator)

2) You have only Direct CD

3) You have only Easy CD Creator

Do you have one or both components installed? Go to Start -> Programs, and look for Adaptec Easy CD Creator. If it is not installed, look for the second component of this which is in the system tray (bottom right hand corner of the screen). This is the Direct CD Wizard.

If you have Easy CD Creator and it is not in the system tray you can put it there by launching Easy CD Creator from Start -> Programs -> Easy CD Creator. This will then give you an Easy CD Creator Title Screen. You can add it to your task bar by right-clicking on the Title screen. In the next screen, select "Add icon to tray," which should then put an icon into the system tray. It will look like a CD with a musical note. To disable this, right click on the icon and select disable create CD.

The next part of the program is the Direct CD wizard. It is an icon found in the system tray and looks like a CD drive with an ejected CD. To turn off the disk creation options for blank media, right-click on the icon and select properties. In properties, select the Direct CD wizard, then uncheck the Display disc creation options for blank media. This will stop Easy CD creator from launching when a new CD is inserted.

If you are unable to pinpoint the source of the error using the above steps, I recommend that you give us a call, as these issues can often be resolved more directly with a phone call than through a back-and-forth of emails.

• 2 weeks later...

Amy,

I do not know how to *temporarily* uninstall any other CD-writing utilities, which ones they would be, etc. Also, I am not sure how to turn off the Auto Insert notification for Windows. I have Windows XP, if that makes a difference in anything. I do not know how to straighten out the internal ribbon cabling, or what that means. I also have no idea what switching master and slave settings means, or if I need to try new internal cabling (if so, how?), and I don't know how to update the firmware on the device. I don't know how to see if the drivers for the IDE controller are current or how to update them. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator--do I need to do anything with that? I do not understand any of those troubleshooting ideas (what they mean, and what I do about them). I would really appreciate if you could clarify all this.

Thank you

Instructions for disabling Easy CD and Direct CD were provided at the end of the previous post.

Auto-insert notification is not applicable in Windows XP, so you don't need to worry about that step.

Updated drivers for the IDE controller would be obtained through updates from your computer vendor. You can check the vendor website for comptuer updates and patches.

Firmware updates are obtained through the hardware vendor, which is usually a downloaded file. You should check the hardware vendor website or contact them directly about possible firmware updates.

The ribbons are the cables that connect your CD burner to your comptuer and the master/slave settings refer to device settings your computer uses to communicate with the device. If you don't know what these are, you may want to have a knowledgeable computer person check these things for you.

Archived