Retrospecct Not Responding

For some time now I've noticed that Retrospect will show up in the Activity Monitor as not responding. Typically after it's done a scan, then matching, and again when closing the catalog. I've recently moved this from an old G4 tower to a newer G5 2x2GHz machine and have the exact same behavior.

Is this a known issue? I've searched the forums and have found a lot about hangs and quits, but nothing that seems to match what I'm seeing.

And while we are at it, has anyone noticed that this program hasn't been updated since 2005? I think it was in October 2005 when the last update was released. I've used Retrospect for 10 years now, but I'm already looking around for other more up-to-date software.

It's a problem with the Activity Monitor. It will put up that message if a process does not go idle within some time. The same behavior can be seen on Apple's Mail program on quit if you have a gazillion emails in a POP account (I've got about 7 GB in ~/Library/Mail and I see it).

Retrospect is doing its best to keep up with tape drives to keep them streaming, so it spends a lot of time pumping that data. It's why a system appears sluggish when Retrospect is running. A different design of the low-level processes handling the backup might be able to eliminate this, but that's the way the current design is.

Quote:

And while we are at it, has anyone noticed that this program hasn't been updated since 2005? I think it was in October 2005 when the last update was released. I've used Retrospect for 10 years now, but I'm already looking around for other more up-to-date software.

Please, let's not open up that can of worms here again. It's been noticed. Larry Zulch (who started Retrospect, and whose name is on the patent), posted a note at the end of January 2007 about the current status. Link is here, posted by Robin Mayoff, head of Tech Support:

Zulch letter about Retrospect

And there are numerous rants in these forums on the subject.

Russ

Well my system is backing up to SATA HD's not tape. And yes, I heard Larry comment on MacVoices (or maybe MacNotables) as well. I like Retrospect, but it seems as if it is falling behind. While Retrospect lead the pack back in the 90's and early 2000, it is now just barely holding on.

Someone really needs to get the Mac version on par with the PC version. I'm on a Gig network and am using all dual processor systems. We could really take advantage of backing up multiple computers at the same time rather than running things sequentially all weekend long.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived