OS 9, Client not found

Barb

I am running 4.3 on a combination airport and hard-wired network from a G4 server. Clients are PowerMacs, iMacs or iBooks, running 9. whatever. I have been following the thread about OSX and not finding clients, but unfortunatley it doesn't seem to apply to OS9. I have 1 iMac and 1 iBook that continually cannot be found on the network (error -1028). The iMac is wired, the iBook is wireless; when I plug the ethernet into the iBook, Retros-pect still can't find it. I sure hope someone has some ideas that might help! Thank you.

There are a number of possibilities here, and without more detail, it's difficult to offer specific suggestions. Here are a few notes to get you started though.

When you get the error -1028, go to the client and open the client control panel. What is the status? It needs to say that it's a TCP/IP client, and the client needs to be on.

OS 9 does not support Multi-homing, so if you are using different IP addresses, you'll probably need to turn the client off and then on again after you change the protocol.

If this doesn't work, you may need to connect to this client using AppleTalk instead of TCP/IP.

Archived