Retrospect restore failing on XP64 client

TNT

I am using Retrospect 7.5 Pro running on a 32 bit XP box. I have backed up my laptop (which is running XP64) as a client. I have been faithfully performing backups for over a year on my machines, and thought it might be a good idea to try a complete restore to test the backups. So, I bought a new disk for the laptop, installed the base OS, retrospect client, got TCP/IP working, and did the restore (following the instructions in the manual). Everything went fine until the laptop rebooted. After a few econds of the Windows SP splash screen, I got a blue screen. If I tried booting using safe mode, I was able to log in, but after a few seconds, the machine rebooted.

Any ideas?

AmyJ,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am already aware of that extra partition (it is a Dell). I have tried dd'ing over the first 100 meg to the new disk (to get the partition table and the extra partition) installing the OS, etc.. with the same results. When I tried to the fresh disk with only one partition, I believe I simply got ana error about not finding the os or ntldr (I don't remeber the exact mesage - it was 3 days ago smile.gif ). When that happened, I booted int a linux live cd and edited the boot.ini by hand (changing the partition number) and had the blue screen. I actually tried this method first (i.e. no Dell partition), and when I got the blue screen I figured windows didn't like something else with the lack of two partitions - that's when I tried recreating the Dell partition and installing to the second partition again with no luck (blue screen).

Archived