Mac retrospect and windows vista client

Hi

I'm running Mac Retrospect Backup v6.1.126.

I need to back up a Vista PC, which has Retrospect client v7.0.112.

I am not able to back up the vista PC.When trying to connect I get error 525 (name/login conflict)

What do I need to do to enable backup of the Vista PC. New backup software, different client software, or changes to configuration?

Did you just upgrade the client to Vista? If so, Retrospect is probably expecting to find the client under the previous OS.

Go to Configure> Clients and forget the old client; then log in the new client. If this doesn't work, you'll need to uninstall and then reinstall the client software.

Either way, you'll need to redefine any subvolumes you may have had, and add the new client volume(s) to all the volume groups, lists, and scripts that you are using.

No, I didn't upgrade to Vista. It is a new PC and I installed Retrospect client v7.0.112 (upgrade) from the retrospect download page. Retrospect was not previously installed on this PC.

I cannot select subvolumes even though Retrospect can see the client. The subvolume button is greyed out and I get error 525 (name/login conflict) when trying to configure the client.

Previously an older XP PC had a license for v6 client, which was fine for backup, but apparently this doesn't work on Vista.

Quote:

Maybe I should call customer support...

Perhaps the reason you aren't getting any responses in the Mac forum is because of the Vista client. The problem might be (and probably is) on the Vista side, and not many of us in the Mac forum (certainly not me) have extensive experience with Vista client issues. People tend not to chime in with a suggestion unless they have seen the issue in their own configuration.

Yes, the support group might be able to help you and probably can. Because you previously had it working with XP and a V6 Retrospect client, it's probably not a newbie type of configuration error but rather an interaction between the Retrospect client and Vista. But you might give it a shot in the Windows forum first.

Russ

I installed the 7.5 client on the Vista client today and I am getting the same error 525 (name/login conflict) when I try to connect from Mac Retrospect v6.1.126.

Can anyone tell exactly what this error is that I'm getting on the Mac?

Name/Login Conflict means that Retrospect believes that particular client is already in its client database.

You didn't say whether you went to Configure> Clients to check if the client is already listed. If it is, forget the client and then try logging it in again.

When you installed the 7.5 client, did you use the installer to uninstall the previous client? If you didn't, any problem with the previous client configuration may have carried over.

Archived