Email notification on Schedualed Backups- Can't get to work

I can't get my Eudora Event handler to execute. I'm stumped where the User Guide says; "Double click the event handler and point it the the location of your email application, then quit." When I double click the event handler launches and does nothing. What is this "pointing to" stuff??

I have my Eudora event handeler modified for my email address and in the /Library/Preferences.

I'm new to applescripting so I am just using the example scripts that came with Retrospect. My backup test script seems to be executing just fine. I just don't get any email?

Chuck

Chuck,

Here's my suggestion for what it's worth. None of the event handlers are worth anything except the python event handler. Why? Because all of the specialized versions (Mail, Eudora, etc.) were written for a particular version of the MUA (email client). Every time some detail changes for the MUA client, the event handlers break.

The python version doesn't use any email client, so it is isolated from updates/changes to the email clients.

I have been using the python version since day one on our Xserve G5 and Retrospect, and it works well. Link is here:

Python event handler script

If you still have problems after trying that, post again and we will get you going. Even if I have to send you my script (modified somewhat for our enhancements, etc.) that I know works.

Russ

Thanks, however no success. I wonder if in fact Retrospect is sending or trying to send messages to the event handler. Is there any log somewhere that would give some information, error message, something?

I've modified your python script with my; email address, smtp address, from address, username, and password, and saved the modified script in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect as a "application bundle". I also saved your macmail.py there.

Maybe I can add something to the script to tell me that at least Retrospect is talking to the Event handler?

I don't think I have to do anything to my Eudora settings but I did set things that say they allow smtp authorization for my dominant email address.

Will keep fiddling.

Chuck

Quote:

I've modified your python script with my; email address, smtp address, from address, username, and password, and saved the modified script in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect as a "application bundle". I also saved your macmail.py there.

It's not my python script, and it's not my macmail.py script. I don't work for EMC/Insignia/Dantz, never have. I'm just a Retrospect user like you are.

When you save the Retrospect Event Handler:

(1) you MUST save it as an application, stay open, never show startup screen. Then

(2) you MUST rename the file from "Retrospect Event Handler.app" to "Retrospect Event Handler" by deleting the ".app" extension.

Personally I think that Retrospect, when it launches, should look for either name, but that's not the way it is. And the name must be EXACTLY "Retrospect Event Handler" with no variations.

Does your email server use SMTP AUTH for email SENT TO it? Most servers only use a username/password for retrieving email. The username and password SHOULD NOT be set if you do not use SMTP AUTH (most servers do not). Some people have had difficulty getting SMTP AUTH working from the python script - I don't have SMTP AUTH for our LAN users, but I have looked at the Python code in the macmail.py file, and it looks correct for SMTP AUTH calls.

If it were me, I would set up a separate account on the server machine as a retrospect account (username "retrospect"). Set it up as a POP/SMTP account. Test out that account, see that it can send and receive email using Apple's Mail program (not Eudora) as a POP account, not SMTP AUTH, to your email account. That will test that the "retrospect" account can send email. Then set up the Retrospect Event Handler to send email from the "retrospect@yourdomain.com" account, which you already know is working.

Quote:

Maybe I can add something to the script to tell me that at least Retrospect is talking to the Event handler?

Sure. You could write a message to the screen or to a file. But that was never necessary for me. It just worked from the get go. The place to add such things would be in the "on someroutinename" routines. Those get called when the various events ("someroutinename") get sent to the handler.

If you still can't get it working from the above, send me a private message with your email address, and I will email you our Apple Event Handler with detailed installation instructions. It's got a few enhancements, etc.

Russ

Quote:

Personally I think that Retrospect, when it launches, should look for either name...

Note that the AppleScripts were written long before OS X, and were never part of the Retrospect development process (they've always been use-at-your-own-risk freebies). Back then, ScriptEditor didn't add an extension to compiled scripts, so Retrospect had no need to look.

Dantz didn't crack the portion of the code that dealt with recognizing the name "Event Handler" during the carbonization process, and then it was either never on the list of features to add, or it never made it high enough on that list to be enabled.

Archived