error -1028 (client is not visable on network)

Hi I'm using latest Mac Retrospect server on a OS X 10.4.8 server and have about 15 G5 clients also running 10.4.8 and latest Retrospect client. There are 2 G5's that drop off the network at night before that backup happens, even though they aren't asleep. I have trashed Energy Saver prefs and made sure they are awake but they still cannot be seen by Retrospect until they are being used for a while. Tried setting them to static IP's but no change. All other clients have identical config and work fine.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

Ben

Hi, Ben, welcome to the forums.

Quote:

I'm using latest Mac Retrospect server

What version? What RDU?

Quote:

have about 15 G5 clients also running ... latest Retrospect client.

What version?

Not trying to be difficult here. First, these forums are not just for your use, but for searching by others in the future who might have the same problem. Months from now, "latest version" won't mean much. Second, it's common that posters believe that they have the "latest" version and do not, and we waste time troubleshooting a problem that is solved by the "latest" version. Please provide your version numbers for the client, Retrospect, and RDU.

Quote:

There are 2 G5's that drop off the network at night before that backup happens, even though they aren't asleep. ... and made sure they are awake but they still cannot be seen by Retrospect until they are being used for a while.

From everything you say, it sure sounds like they ARE asleep or that there is some screen saver that is putting them in an inaccessible mode. If I had to bet, they are asleep.

I had a user who, each day before leaving and after logging out, would put his computer to sleep "to be helpful". I set his Energy Saver prefs to wake the machine up 5 minutes before the scheduled nightly backup, and no problem since.

Doesn't sound like your issue is a network broadcast or IP issue because you indicate that they become visible again if you use the machines for a while.

One way to tell if they are asleep (regardless of what you may think) is to send them the "magic packet" to wake them up. The freeware "WakeOnLan" utility can do this:

WakeOnLan

If sending them the "magic packet" from WakeOnLan shortly before you do the backup, then that's the problem. They are asleep. You could either fix by setting the Energy Saver preferences appropriately to wake them up a few minutes prior to the backup, or, another Retrospect user posted in these forums a script solution to do it automatically. Here's the link to that thread:

Script to wake up computers before backup

Russ

Hi Russ thanks for the reply.

I am using Retrospect 6.1.126 on the OS X 10.4.8 server and Retrospect 6.1.130 client on the G5's running 10.4.8.

I don't believe I've installed any RDU's, the server is only about a year old and I've reinstalled the clients recently.

All systems are set to never go to sleep and this cannot be changed by users. The users know not to manually put the Macs to sleep and I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

I use Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) to administrate these machines and when they are not visible to Retrospect they are also not available in ARD. I have tried using the ARD "Wake..." command in this situation (at night), which I beleive sends the same command as WakeOnLAN, but it fails.

This leads me to beleive it is a system problem and Retrospect not finding them is just a symptom. Just weird cause out of 15 I have 2 with the same symptoms.

I'll try setting up a schedule for them to wake before the backup script, it will be interesting to see if that fixes it. If not I'm considering reinstalling the system or just booting from a clean system at night for testing.

Quote:

I don't believe I've installed any RDU's, the server is only about a year old and I've reinstalled the clients recently.

The RDU is the Retrospect Driver Update, and it adds support for additional devices for Retrospect and patches bugs in Retrospect. That doesn't sound like your issue here, but I would still install it. Current RDU version is 6.1.9.102 and the link is here:

Retrospect Mac updates

Quote:

All systems are set to never go to sleep and this cannot be changed by users. The users know not to manually put the Macs to sleep and I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

I understand what you are saying, but we have seen posters in these forums who believe and state the same thing, and later the facts show otherwise. Understand that I'm not trying to be difficult, and I believe you. I'm just trying to help without both of us spinning our wheels.

Quote:

I use Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) to administrate these machines and when they are not visible to Retrospect they are also not available in ARD.

That's consistent. ARD 3.0?

Quote:

I have tried using the ARD "Wake..." command in this situation (at night), which I beleive sends the same command as WakeOnLAN, but it fails.

I have that same belief. I'm just trying to get a consistent set of tests performed for which I know the result and which I have tested in this exact situation. I'd really appreciate it if you could give WakeOnLan a try when you get the system into this mode. Please.

Quote:

This leads me to beleive it is a system problem and Retrospect not finding them is just a symptom. Just weird cause out of 15 I have 2 with the same symptoms.

Again, I've seen it when the machines were asleep, and others in the forum have seen the same thing. I'm just reporting on past solutions that have worked.

Quote:

I'll try setting up a schedule for them to wake before the backup script, it will be interesting to see if that fixes it.

So would I. I would be interested to hear the results of your test.

Quote:

If not I'm considering reinstalling the system

Oh, that's painful and might also wipe out any trail of what the underlying cause is/was.

Quote:

or just booting from a clean system at night for testing.

That sounds like a much better plan because it will only change one thing. You will have to install the client again and forget the old client, let Retrospect learn about the new one. And that will mean that you will have to add the "new" client to the backup schedule in the scripts. Or else, as a better plan, if the test is just to see if booting from a clean system will keep the computer visible to ARD (because you see the same invisibility in ARD as Retrospect), then you might not have to futz around with new client install, forget, etc., just observe if a boot from a clean system external drive is invisible to ARD (and whether WakeOnLan can wake it up, please, if invisible, and make it visible). Remember, ARD has a different test for whether the machine is alive (response on the ARD port) than Retrospect does (response on the Retrospect port), so it's encouraging that you are seeing the same results with ARD as with Retrospect. But all the facts seem to point to the computer being asleep because you say that it starts responding when someone is using it.

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

Quote:

Well to my amazement the users were putting the systems to sleep even though they swore they were not. Setting up Energy Saver to wake them before the backup worked like a charm. Thanks!

Now do you understand why we had this interchange above:

Quote:

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, but we have seen posters in these forums who believe and state the same thing, and later the facts show otherwise. Understand that I'm not trying to be difficult, and I believe you. I'm just trying to help without both of us spinning our wheels. ... But all the facts seem to point to the computer being asleep because you say that it starts responding when someone is using it.

It happens again and again. And people in the forums keep saying that Dave and I are difficult...

russ

Archived