False report of file full Error -34

We have just recently lost a backup tape drive due to failure and have switched to an external drive backup. The drive we are backing up is 160gb and the destination drive is 500gb. We are getting a file full error that is obviously untrue as there is 499 gb's free on this new drive.

Any suggestions?

I am using 5.1.15f driver version 4.1.100.

The error popup that I get is something similar to volume full. The log provides a "Can't add that much data, the limit is 2.0 gb". I have not reformatted this drive, and have read a couple places that reformatting the drive to mac os native would help.

Quote:

I have not reformatted this drive, and have read a couple places that reformatting the drive to mac os native would help.

The report is true, and you have answered your own question. The filesystem on the drive does not support files larger than 2 GB. I would bet that the drive is formatted for Windows.

You won't get past this until you reformat the drive Mac HFS+ (a/k/a Mac OS Extended).

Russ

Quote:

Dantz/EMCInsignia has
never
used letters in Retrospect-Mac build numbers.

Uh, sorry Dave, that's a pretty bold statement. To quote a post I saw recently in these forums:

Quote:

where I come from that's what we call "
crazy
talk."

I just looked in an old box and found the floppy with my copy of Retrospect 2.0i, which was the "international" version of Retrospect 2.0 without encryption (export prohibited because of munitions), and you had to install a patch to get encryption.

I'm waiting for the original poster to do the HFS+ drive format so we can move to the next issue, which will require revealing the Retrospect version and RDU.

Russ

Archived