Cannot backup after restore

toosubtle

The boot drive on one of my clients failed, so I replaced the drive and did a restore. The machine's running fine now except: retrospect refuses to back it up giving, "error -525 wrong client found at that address".

Any ideas for getting this running again? The KB suggests forgetting the client and re-adding it. I'd rather not because I've got a bunch of volumes & scripts defined for this machine and don't want to recreate it all (partly time, mostly because I'll forget something).

Not sure why there'd be a problem in the first place either - retrospect happily pushed the restore through the client app just fine.

Found the problem: Apparently, retrospect thinks that a machine found via multicast and the same machine found via direct address are different machines - though the name, ip address, and presumably any ID data it would fetch from the client are the same.

After rebuilding the machine originally, retrospect couldn't find the client via multicasts (dunno why). So, I switched it over to direct address and did the restore. That worked fine for the restore but not for any subsequent operations. Today I tried multicasts again and for some reason retrospect could find the client this time (haven't touched wires). Now retrospect happily uses the client.

Archived