Searching This Forum - Am I Crazy?

Has anyone else been able to successfully search this forum or the knowledge base? Every time I attempt a specific search I get a list of results that seemingly has no relevance. For example, try the following search phrase in this forum:

assertion check elem.c-923

The first result doesn't contain ANY of those keywords!! Any none of the other results in the first three pages appears to be relevant at all to my search. I get similar results in the knowledge base.

Quote:

Has anyone else been able to successfully search this forum or the knowledge base?

yes, every day. But it's difficult, and the Knowledgebase is the worst, and is really only successful when you are able to search on an exact phrase. Forum search is a bit better, but there are still many quirks with the search engine. I'm more successful with searching the forums. There really aren't that many articles in the Knowledgebase, so often it's just faster and less frustrating to get a list of them for the appropriate category (Macintosh, etc.) and just scroll through the titles.

For the Knowledgebase, have you clicked on the "Search Tips" link in the upper right corner of the KB search page? Likewise, for the forum search, click on the "Advanced Search Tips" link above the Keyword search terms box. And there is a Google search for searching these forums and the retro-talk email list.

The retro-talk email list seems to have a higher quality of questions and answers than do these forums, which seem heavily populated by rants and novices.

Searching the Knowledgebase on the exact phrase "assertion check elem.c-923" in the Macintosh category yielded only 4 results, and they really were only of general interest.

Searching the Macintosh forums for that exact phrase ("assertion check elem.c-923") in the subject and body for the past year yielded only your post. Searching for "elem.c-923" (the better search) in the subject and body for the past year yielded 31 results, including a thread in which you posted in August 2006.

You look a bit blue. Sorry if it's caused by Retrospect.

Russ

Archived