Retrospect 7.5 Network Drives not Available Volumes

CADbetty

Using Retrospect 7.5 Professional on WinXP SP2.

I am backing up to Maxtor One Touch (II) External Hard Drives.

I am currently running a Trial of the Retrospect software, but I am under the impression that it operates just like the full version with no limitations other than a time limit for the trial. Please inform me if the Trial is incomplete somehow. Ultimately, I will not purchase the full license unless I am positive that I can accomplish what I need to with it.

Initially, I set up my scripts to backup two Mapped Network Drives by selecting My Network Places, and then the two drives that I need to back up. They are both Mapped Network Drives. These Drives both map to shared folders on the desktop of the Client Computer.

I did an immediate backup (ran fine) of one of the Data Sets and then had the script scheduled to run again after I had left for the day. When I returned, I found that there was an Error 1017, Insufficient Permissions - and that the scheduled backup was not performed.

I found an article that recommended this:

"It sounds like you are connected to that machine through My Network instead of the client. If you go to configure clients is the client listed there? Or if you go to configure volumes is that machine showing up under My Network Places or Backup Clients? If its under My Network Places right click on it, forget it and add the client through configure clients. Then edit your script and add the computer as a source that’s listed under backup clients."

I installed the Client Version on my Client computer, and tried to configure the client as described above. When I try to select my Mapped Network Drives on the Volumes Tab of Client Properties, only the local drives of the client are available for selection.

I need to be able to run these backups scheduled and unattended, as I am not going to be in the office every day to execute immediate backups.

Moving the contents of the network drives is not an option. I need them to be separated from other data on that machine, not to mention that moving them would require that I manually re-path thousands of referenced files. I cannot connect the External Hard Drives directly to the Client, as there are insufficient USB ports to connect them, and trying to expand the USB capabilities of the Client has been unsuccessful.

Any immediate help will be greatly appreciated,

CADbetty

From the Retrospect Help:

"Client Desktop resolves to all volumes local to the client computer, except for floppy disks, shared volumes (such as file servers), read-only volumes (such as CD-ROMs), and empty volumes."

Why on earth are shared volumes excluded from the Client Volumes? The shared Volume is the one where everyone accesses and saves their work.

Would we need a more expensive version of Retrospect to accomplish what I need?

This is pretty frustrating.

CADbetty

Turns out that Windows Backup Utility will do what I need. Definitely not as 'slick' as the Retrospect software, but it will backup my Mapped Network Drives incrementally and on an unattended schedule. And it's free and already installed on my computer.

I spent less time setting up the scheduled backups in Windows Backup Utility than I did downloading, setting up, and troubleshooting the Retrospect software.

I will not be purchasing the full licensed version of Retrospect 7.5 Professional.

I have also uninstalled the trial version of the software.

It's really too bad. If Retrospect 7.5 Professional would simply recognize Mapped Network Drives or Shared Volumes on it's Base and Client Computers, I would have purchased it. Even if it was a bit overkill for my needs.

CADbetty

Archived