Question about scheduled backups that were missed

rlevenberg

If the computer is not turned on for a few days, when it does get turned on, Retrospect Professional 7.5 tries to run all the jobs that it missed in the last few days. This could mean that, say, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday backups all get run now on today's data. This seems silly, since all those missed backups are going to contain the same data (today's data). Is there a place to tell Retrospect to forget about missed backup jobs? Thanks.

Interesting. When I've missed several [up to couple months] days, Retro runs just one missed session.

You're sure your Retro is running a session for each of the missed days?

I'm not aware of a general preference/setting on this, but you can tell Retro to stop when it first opens to run the backups. You can then go into the schedule for each script and change the date on the sessions waiting to run. They should show up as 'Deferred' in the schedule dialog screen.

I should mention that I use 7 backups sets, one for each day of the week, so I do a backup to a different backup set every day. This might be a reason that Retrospect wants to run all the missed backups.

I know I can kill waiting backups but I have to be present to do that - since I run the backups in the wee hours, I'm sleeping at that time!

Thanks.

Got it. In that case, I haven't found a way tell Retro to not run scheduled scripts.

FWIW, while Retro is adding the snapshot info to the catalog, it's not adding any additional files. Retro only adds changed or new files to it's big file 'bucket'. Retro uses snapshots to provide a view to the files.

Archived