How do I keep servers connected in OS X?

OSX disconnects my servers from time to time and I can't figure out why exactly. As a result, a lot of my backup fails due to a missing backup destination. I am using a MacBook Pro with a wireless connection to my NAS.

Is there a way to ask retrospect to try to connect to a share before running a backup script? If not, is there an easy way to maintain server connections in OS X? (I am a longtime XP guy but a Mac newbie)

thanks in advance,

pete

OSX disconnects my servers from time to time and I can't figure out why exactly

Impossible to know what's going on without more information about your computer and network configurations. But OS X is not predisposed to break remote network connections; I have share points that remain mounted for weeks or months without inturruption. It's more likely that the share is breaking the connection at its end.

> Is there a way to ask retrospect to try to connect to a share before running a backup script?

Yes, but.

The Retrospect ReadMe has information about using a remote volume as a location for a Catalog or File Backup Set. Depending on the permissions of the share, you may need to make some extra effort for Retrospect to see the Catalog. These instructions also include information on how to Configure the remote share in Retrospect to mount/unmount.

However (that's the 'but' part) Retrospect only supports AFP volumes for auto-mounting, and most (but not all) NAS devices only support CIFS (SMB).

I've been using a nice little utility named "MountWatcher" that can keep a CIFS volume mounted. v1.5 works great on my G4 based OS X Server machine , but for some reason, even though it's a Univeral Binary, it fails to stay running on my iMac Core Duo (and the developer did not respond to my bug report).

http://www.scriptsoftware.com/mountwatcher/

• 1 month later...

Another option would be to write a line or two of AppleScript or shell code and to place that code in the Retrospect Event Handler so that the volume could be mounted if needed prior to the first backup script (which could be a "trigger script"). For example, we have code in our Retrospect Event Handler that shuts down our Xserve's mail service prior to backing up that stuff and then turns it back on afterwards.

For explanation of what is needed for the magic line of code, in Terminal see:

man mount_smbfs

Russ

Archived