want be sure about shutdown

Hello,

I run Retrospect Backup 6.1.126 on a Xserve running 10.4.8 that goes out and backs up Retrospect clients to a set of attached hard drives. Retrospect Preferences on the server show something called "Unattended Preferences" that determine what Retrospect does when a script is completed. Currently, it's set to "Quit". If I select "Shut down", it will shut down the Retrospect server, not the Retrospect clients. Is that correct?

In order to shut down Retrospect clients running OS X, I need to use a Python script described elsewhere in these forums. Is that correct?

Roberto Chavez

Quote:

I run Retrospect Backup 6.1.126 on a Xserve running 10.4.8 that goes out and backs up Retrospect clients to a set of attached hard drives. Retrospect Preferences on the server show something called "Unattended Preferences" that determine what Retrospect does when a script is completed. Currently, it's set to "Quit". If I select "Shut down", it will shut down the Retrospect server, not the Retrospect clients. Is that correct?

It won't shut down the clients. I've never used it to shut down our Xserve, though, so I can't comment on how clean a shutdown would result; ours has always been set for Retrospect to "Quit". Can't imagine why one would shut down a server. I suspect that this preference setting is for when Retrospect is run on a desktop computer to back up that computer.

Quote:

In order to shut down Retrospect clients running OS X, I need to use a Python script described elsewhere in these forums. Is that correct?

Yep, we use it on our OS X clients, works fine now (used to accumulate a big log, but that's fixed). Here's the link to it:

Python shutdown script KB article

Russ

Archived