Retro 7.5 Multi server - Backup Methods and Scripts 101

Apologies if this has been beaten to death. Please reply to me off-line if needed.

Here's my setup.

RetroSpect 7.5.324 Multi Server backing up 3, W2K3 servers to a Sony AIT storstation.

Issue:

I want, optimally, to create backup scripts in Retrospect 7.5 so that I can "set and forget" and just feed my tape drive any old tape.

My past backup strategy with BackupExec has been as follows:

8 tapes total per month with 1 new tape introduced then stored offsite each month.

For Example:

Tape Feb1A - Full backup of all three servers on first monday of the month. (tape is stored offsite)

Tape Feb1B - "incremental" (progressive?) backup of all new/changed files Tues-Sunday. Backups are appended.

Tape Feb2A - Full backup of all three servers on second monday of the month.

Tape Feb2B - "incremental" (progressive?) backup of all new/changed files Tues-Sunday. Backups are appended.

Tape Feb3A - Full backup of all three servers on Third monday of the month.

Tape Feb3B - "incremental" (progressive?) backup of all new/changed files Tues-Sunday. Backups are appended.

Tape Feb4A - Full backup of all three servers on fourth monday of the month.

Tape Feb4B - "incremental" (progressive?) backup of all new/changed files Tues-Sunday. Backups are appended.

Tape March1A - Full backup of all three servers on first monday of the month. (Brand New Tape. Tape is then stored offsite)

Tape Feb1B - "incremental" (progressive?) backup of all new/changed files Tues-Sunday. Backups are appended.(old files from previous month are overwritten)

Tape Feb2A - Full backup of all three servers on second monday of the month. (old files from previous month are overwritten)

Tape Feb2B - "incremental" (progressive?) backup of all new/changed files Tues-Sunday. Backups are appended.(old files from previous month are overwritten)

.....et cetera

I've had Retrospect for almost 8 weeks now and I'm just not understanding why, even with the scripts I've created it seems to: A) want me to manually erase an old tape. B) wants to add a new

tape to a "backup set." Obviously I'm just not getting something. I've perused Chaps 5 and 9 in the manual (in an amongst my other 3489 weekly chores) but it just ain't jibing and I don't have time to curl up with the entire 390 page manual. At the moment I'm limping along with immediate backups, but that just seems too cumbersome long term.

I admit that I may be stuck in a BackupExec mind set and I'm willing to try to break it. But there must be a simple scripted way to achieve the above without a lot of weekly/daily input from me or griping from Retrospect.

Thanks!

Bob

Archived