Duplicating System State

eableson

I'm in the process of making a very large data transfer (NTFS to NTFS) of about 800Gb. It's currently in the Duplicating System State and it's taking a very very very long time. Is there any good way to verify the progress and get an estimation of the time remaining?

Also, what would be the impact of aborting the system state on a drive containing nothing but data files? There's no registry since it's not a boot drive so I'm guessing that it's just the copy of the ACLs that it's doing. I would guess that I should be able to use xcacls to copy the ACLS over if I cancel the duplicate job.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Just as a thought on a different approach, the best way to duplicate a system state is to split off a RAID 1 mirror. In other words, add another mirror secondary to the RAID 1 mirror, allow the mirror to rebuild, get the system quiet, then split the mirror, taking the mirror secondary from the mirror. For a server that needs to be up 24/7/365, this is the method that takes the server down only for an instant (when the system is made quiet for the mirror split).

Just a thought on a different approach.

Russ

Archived