Now Retrospect Pro does not recognize my DVD drive for restore

Papa34

Amazing!

I have Retrospect 7.0xx Pro. I had a MAJOR disk crash a couple of days ago. I had backed up a few days ago, though. I backed up on DVD's as usual. I have Windows XP (SP2). The Retrospect program itself is on my second HD (not the boot drive). I have a CD/DVD reader/writer drive and a seperate CD reader drive.

My HD went bad. I bought a NEW HD yesterday. I installed it and installed Windows XP (SP2) back on it. Then I went to the Retrospect program on the second HD. No problems there. When I clicked on RESTORE, I pointed it to the correct catalog. No problems there. It did its normal file counting, etc., and asked for media #1. When the window for the media came up, it did not show the DVD drive....only the CD drive! The DVD drive is a LITEON.

Now when I *need* Retrospect, it won't work! What a waste of money for a program that will not, at least for me, do what it says it will do.

Any logical suggestions? I'm desperate. Also, I agree with the many posters that a Disaster Recovery media needs to be on a DVD to bypass the 650mb limit!!!

Thanks.

Don't panic! Retrospect has a few quirks in the way it operates with optical drives. Read up on Configuring CD/DVD Drives in the online help. If your DVD drive doesn't appear then you probably need to run a manual configuration process (which will need you to provide a blank disk for a read/write test).

David

Thanks. I've used the twice before with the same DVD drive and had no problems. Now the problem happens.

Can you give me the link to the help file? I can't seem to locate it.

For what it's worth, I also have NovaBackup and Acronis (paid versions). They won't work either.

Three (3) backups. None work.

Thanks.

I was just referring to the normal Help at the right hand side of the main menu across the top of the Retrospect window. Click on Help and then Contents. The topic is also covered on p 35 of the printed User's Guide.

If it is not a configuration issue, then it might be that another application (possibly DVD burning software) has grabbed the drive and is not letting Retrospect see it.

David

No way it can be CD burning software. I'm just trying to get the OS back up. Nothing is being used. Looks like this is a dead-end attempt. Looks like I'm going to make a boat anchor out of the computer and go back to pencil and paper. It would take me months to get my files and programs back like they were. I've been at this for about 36 hours and my eyes have had it.

Thanks, Retrospect.....when I needed you, you let me down.....

Please confirm. After you reinstalled Windows XP on the new drive, did you reinstall Retrospect? If you didn't reinstall it, Windows won't recognize it.

I don't really know what the effect would be, but you certainly want to start with an installed program, not just an .exe in a folder somewhere.

Thanks

Does the drive show up under Configure > Devices > Environment? If so, what is listed for vendor, product, version and driver?

Does the DVD drive show up under My Computer?

What information is provided about the drive in Windows Device Manager?

You're using Retrospect 7.0...your drive may have required an RDU (Retrospect Driver Update) for compatibility. We need to know exactly which model it is.

Quote:

If your DVD drive doesn't appear then you probably need to run a manual configuration process (which will need you to provide a blank disk for a read/write test).

Thanks. I did a manual configuration and it did recognize the drive. I had re-installed XP (SP 1 and 2).

Retrospect went through the restore process as expected and the computer booted up fine. I kept the computer on and made sure that my personal/document/financial files were updated and copied to another drive + hard copies. Then I did the normal shut-down process.

Now this:

The computer does a never-ending boot/reboot. When the Windows logo appears...wham...it reboots. Every time. What in the crap is going on now? I don't know what else can go wrong. I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone!

If anybody reads this, do you have a solution for the eternal reboot/reboot?

I did another complete format of the drive, installing XP (SP1). When I was re-installing SP2, it gave error messages that it could not copy this file and that file, blah...blah...blah.

I'm at my wit's end with this thing.

crazy.gif

Quote:

Does the drive show up under Configure > Devices > Environment? If so, what is listed for vendor, product, version and driver?

LITE-ON DVD-RW RD-I

Currently using standard crappy Windows driver.

Does the DVD drive show up under My Computer?

Yes

Your drive may have required an RDU (Retrospect Driver Update) for compatibility. We need to know exactly which model it is.

Seagate 250GB Barracuda ST3250623A ATA

Thanks. Any hints for the never-ending boot problem (see my other post)? crazy.gif

Quote:

The computer does a never-ending boot/reboot. When the Windows logo appears...wham...it reboots. Every time. What in the crap is going on now? I don't know what else can go wrong. I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone!

Sometimes the behavior is fixed by repairing the Master Boot Record [MBR]. You can do this by booting from the Windows XP install CD and entering 'Repair' mode. It's the first time you have an option to repair or continue to install XP.

Once you choose Repair you will be prompted to enter the Administrator log on password. You then have a command line prompt. Type fixmbr. Reboot [take the install CD out of the CD drive].

50/50 chance this will fix the continuous log on/log off loop.

Quote:

Sometimes the behavior is fixed by repairing the Master Boot Record [MBR]. You can do this by booting from the Windows XP install CD and entering 'Repair' mode. It's the first time you have an option to repair or continue to install XP.

Once you choose Repair you will be prompted to enter the Administrator log on password. You then have a command line prompt. Type fixmbr. Reboot [take the install CD out of the CD drive].

50/50 chance this will fix the continuous log on/log off loop.

I appreciate your suggestion. Will do. Have a great day. dohgrem.gif