Backup script vs. duplicate script

nemo

Retro 7.0, WXP

A poster to another thread suggested backing up his R. catalog files from his C drive to an external drive after a full backup by using a Duplicate script. What is the advantage of using this type of script instead of a Backup script? If it is better to use a Duplicate script, how do you answer the question "Really duplicate to external HD, replacing all contents" that pops up in the course of creating the script? That sounds sort of ominous!

Thanks

Here's a KB article which covers the differences between a backup and a duplicate: http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=1061&p=2

You should be very careful with the duplicate option. If you are selecting the entire external harddrive as the destination for your duplicate, it will erase any files on the destination that do not exist on source. It will then copy over the new and changed files to the destination. The safer way to do it is to create a subvolume on your external harddrive called "Duplicate of XYZ" and set that as the destination. When you perform the duplicate, it will only affect the files in this folder and the rest of the files on your external harddrive will be untouched.

Quote:

You should be very careful with the duplicate option. If you are selecting the entire external harddrive as the destination for your duplicate, it will erase any files on the destination that do not exist on source. It will then copy over the new and changed files to the destination. The safer way to do it is to create a subvolume on your external harddrive called "Duplicate of XYZ" and set that as the destination. When you perform the duplicate, it will only affect the files in this folder and the rest of the files on your external harddrive will be untouched.

Good point, Ronald! From the beginning, I just knew instinctively that creating a 'Duplicate of XYZ' subvolume was the correct approach, but that might not be so obvious to many other users - with potentially disastrous results. I will be slightly more cautious in future about telling people not to worry about this warning message!

David

Thanks, ALL! What I was trying to accomplish was to copy my Retro. Catalog files from my C drive to my EHDD. I certainly don't want to delete what's already there.

Would a regular Backup to a "Catalog Bkup Set" from C to EHDD accomplish this?

Sure, that would work also. Using Backup will keep a copy of the catalog file each time it changes. For example, if you run a backup each day, the catalog file will change each day. A Backup of the catalog file will contain a copy of the catalog file for each day.

A Duplicate will just duplicate the files each time Duplicate is run => no history, just a copy of the files when Duplicate was last run.

Nothing wrong with using Duplicate for catalog files [off hand I can't think of when I'd need to work with a previous version of the catalog file]. If you do use Duplicate, as mentioned above, set up a separate folder as your destination folder. For example, it could be named 'Retro Catalog Duplicate'. The folder can be in the 'root' of the drive or setup in a sub folder. For example, on the EHDD you could set up a Backup folder and within that folder set up Retro Catalog Duplicate.

Hope this helps.

Archived