Verification option always fails with error 205

I've been using Retrospect for more than 10 years and have had virtually no problems. The current configuration includes a Dual G4 Power Mac (Quicksilver model) running OSX 10.3.9, Quantum SDLT320 tape drive, ATTO ExpressPCI UL3D, Retrospect 6.1.126 with RDU 6.1.9.102. Retrospect's main job is to backup a 1 terrabyte external firewire drive attached the same computer, although I get the same error when backing up the internal hard drive or a network client. Here is a snippet from the Retrospect log that describes the problem:

2/19/2007 12:22:22 PM: Copying JobFolder on Sugar1TB…

2/19/2007 12:30:04 PM: Comparing JobFolder on Sugar1TB…

Trouble reading: “1-Jobs04-02-05recovered” (0), error 205 (lost access to storage medium).

2/19/2007 12:30:44 PM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 732 files, 6.0 GB

Completed: 265 files, 194.4 MB

Performance: 774.8 MB/minute (816.8 copy, 291.5 compare)

Duration: 00:08:22 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

This behavior has been going on for a couple of years, probably since we first aquired the SDLT drive. In the past, I have just ignored the problem and turned off the verification option.

We ran into a corrupt backup set recently. Interesting, in that it was unable to rebuild the catalog from tape, but it was able to restore everything on the tape to a hard drive. Anyway, this event motivates me to pay attention to this verification problem. Any sugggestions or antecdotes are welcome. Thanks.

> We ran into a corrupt backup set recently. Interesting, in that it was

> unable to rebuild the catalog from tape, but it was able to restore

> everything on the tape to a hard drive

This is a scary situation. Generally, you don't want to Restore _everything_ on a tape; generally you want to Restore the contents of a Backup Set's Snapshot, so you get only the most current versions of each file (unless, of course, you want more then that).

- Can you Update or Rebuild catalogs from other Backup Sets?

- Do you make backups of your Catalog files (unreleated, but really, really smart to do)?

2/19/2007 12:30:04 PM: Comparing JobFolder on Sugar1TB…

Trouble reading: “1-Jobs04-02-05recovered” (0), error 205 (lost access to storage medium).

While this might be the FireWire drive, the fact that Retrospect is able to read the drive during the backup phase makes it less likely that it suddenly can't read that same drive to compare it to the tape.

- Have you run test Restores with your Backup Set over the "couple of years" that you've been having a problem?

If you are unable to Restore (using Snapshots) from tapes, then that's your answer; your tape drive or its interface are the problem.

- Have you done the usual SCSI voodoo, checking termination and cables?

Sorry, my error, I misread the log message and believed it was referring to the 1 TB drive.

Have you tried updating the firmware on the UL3D and on the Quantum SDLT320 ?

There have been a few ATTO firmware and driver updates in the last couple of years:

ATTO driver and firmware updates

Current driver for the UL3D on Mac OS 10.3.9 is v3.21

Current firmware for the UL3D is v1.6.6f0 (Released 7/15/03)

So, you've probably got current firmware, may not have current driver.

See what Retrospect says for the Quantum SDLT320 firmware level in Configure > Devices > Device Status

Firmware updates are here, unclear how to do it on Mac OS X:

Quantum SDLT320 drivers and firmware

Russ

Perhaps I misspoke, I did the restore from snapshots.

Oh yes, we backup the catalogs every night.

We seldom have the need to rebuild catalogs, since they usually work just fine, but I'll try a few test restores this weekend. It takes a long time, as you know.

I agree that it is probably the tape drive or the SCSI hardware, but both of them pass their own separate internal diagnostic tests so its difficult to know who to point the finger at. I always suspect cables, but they check out fine. I'll try another cable and terminator just to be sure.

Archived