Scheduled execution not bringing PC out of standby

cprstn54

My first attempt at a scheduled back up failed. It was supposed to start at 3:00 a.m. My power settings had the PC in standby, with the hard drives and monitor off. Unable to sleep (for another reason), I woke up the PC at 3:30 a.m. and Retrospect immediately started up.

How can I get the PC to wake up and start my Retrospect scheduled backup? Should I schedule Retrospect in Control Panel to start at 2:59 a.m.?

Ken C

Quote:

Looks like Retrospect is not designed to take a system out of standby.

Ken C

This is really disapointing. I have several laptop clients that should be used power management features. I would like to run my backups at night but that means I have to leave these machines on 24X7. Seems like a big waste of power to me.

I tried setting the client "proactive backup" to as soon as possible but it did not seems to initiate a backup job. I thought that it could be a workaround.

Does anyone have a workaround???

pete

You might try scheduling sending a magic "Wake On Lan" packet a short time before the backup. That's how some of us with the Mac Retrospect version do it. There are various freeware utilities around that do it for Windows machines, too, I believe.

Here's a thread in the Mac forum that shows how one user did it; while that code is not useful for Windows, it might point you in the right direction:

Wake on Lan

Russ

Would using Scheduled Tasks work? I.e., set up a Scheduled Task to run Retro at the time you want Retro to run the backup?

I've not used Scheduled Task since Win 98. Here's a link that seems to address how to set up a Scheduled Task. It seems to say that for a Scheduled Task to wake up the PC requires that the user account has a password.

http://www.windowsxpmagazine.co.uk/page/xpmag?entry=easy_maintenance

HTH

Archived