Upgrade from 6.5 to 7.5 Now Causes Buffer Overrun Error

fpividal

This weekend I upgraded from Retrospect 6.5 to Retrospect 7.5 hoping to see more reliabilty and better performance. Instead I am occassionally getting a Microsoft Visal C++ Runtime Library error of Buffer Overrun Detected!! in Retrospect.exe. The program then closes. Sometimes I need to click on a menu option or button, other times after a few seconds the error pops up on its own. I performed a reinstall of 7.5 over 7.5 and then I could perform a backup after a reboot, but subsequent attempts will produce the error. I have searched the forums and with Google and have not found any reports of this error. Is there a fix for this problem, besides downgrading to 6.5, purchasing another vendor's product, etc.? I would appreciate any assistance in resolving this error. Tomorrow I will go ahead and uninstall all traces of Retrospect, i.e. files and folders as well as registry; hopefully a "clean" install will produce a more reliable result.

Still no success. I cleaned the registry of all Retrospect entries, even ones to the previous 6.5 version. Deleted the Retrospect folders in Documents and Settings for All Users and my user. When I start Retrospect 7.5 and wait 5 seconds the error appears. I do not have to click on anything. I wonder if I can get a refund? Retrospect 6.5 was running OK, but I thought that it would be better to have the current version. My PC is a Dell Dimension 8200, Pentium 4, 2.4GHz, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB (C: Drive) and 200 GB (D: Drive), Onstream ADR DI-30 tape drive, Windows XP Professional SP2 (with all updates), Windows Defender and Grisoft AVG 7.5 (free version). I have another Dell Optiplex GX400, Pentium 4, 1.8GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB (C: Drive), 80 GB (D: Drive), DVD+RW, Windows XP Home SP2 (with all updates), Windows Defender and Grisoft AVG 7.5 (free version). I will try installing on that PC to see if it reacts any differently.

To me it sounds like there is a problem with the OS.

I'd try a repair install [after I've made a backup of at least all my data].

Or, if you have a spare hard drive around, you could install a fresh copy of Windows [don't activate - we're just testing]; install Retro 7.5 and see if it runs ok. If there's still a problem, it's a hardware conflict.

If there isn't a problem with the fresh install of Windows, it says there's a problem with either another application you've installed or something in the OS has gotten corrupted/configured that's causing the problem.

Archived