6.1 doesn't fix Client restart issue?

According to: http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=7971 , Retrospect Client 6.1 is supposed to fix the error under Tiger where the client switches off on restart. I recently upgraded the client to 6.1.130 and need to manually switch it on every time I reboot (annoying).

Is there some trick in the upgrade process? Or is the problem simply not fixed?

Thanks

Quote:

Or is the problem simply not fixed?

What problem, exactly?

The issue regarding permissions in /Library/StartupItems/ was indeed fixed with later client installer scripts. There was never a problem with the Retrospect OS X Client software code, the problem was an interaction between the permissions used and what the OS would allow.

If your client software is not loading at startup, the most likely reason is that you've moved the Retrospect Client application from its installed location. Have you?

Dave

Quote:

If your client software is not loading at startup, the most likely reason is that you've moved the Retrospect Client application from its installed location.

Upon reflection, Dave is right. I hadn't considered that possibility. There's another possible cause, namely, that you might have renamed the "Retrospect Client.app" in /Applications.

Just so the underlying cause is understood, at startup, the Retrospect client needs to be launched (actually, the pitond buried within the client) by the script "/Library/StartupItems/RetroClient". If it has been moved or renamed , then the script is not able to start the pitond within Retrospect Client.

It just hadn't crossed my mind that people might be moving or renaming Retrospect Client. Dave is right.

Another senior moment ......

russ

Well, that explains it. There wasn't any /Library/StartupItems/RetroClient. And because I updgraded via the rcu, it didn't re-install it. I've reinstalled, so that should make the problem go away.

I expect that when I upgraded my OS from 10.3 to 10.4 that the Client application got moved automatically (since it was in Applications) but the startup item didn't.

Thanks for the help

Archived