6.1 unable to see Pioneer DVR-111DBK

Retrospect 6.1.126

driver update version: 6.1.5.102

Mac: G4 350MHz running OSX 10.4.6

Have been using Retrospect for a long time on OSX 10.3 backing up to LaCie external DVD-RAM drive. This drive is now on it's way out so have purchased a Pioneer DVR-111DBK internal drive and upgraded the Mac to Tiger to be able to use it.

Have installed the new drive and OS and everything appears to work fine Mac-wise. I have configured the drive within Retrospect and am told that burning to DVD-R is now supported. When checking drive status, the drive is shown as is the 'erased' disk, and yet when I try backing up, the disk is not shown in the selection window.

I am trying to continue with the existing backup set that is asking for a new disk. It states that it will back up to any disk that is named "name_24" or any disk that is erased. I have both left the DVD with its default name and also renamed it on the desktop to the required name but Retrospect just does not see it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

What kind of disc are you using? DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM.

You can't normally see Retrospect's discs in the Finder, much less rename them.

Be sure to insert a completely new (empty!) disc the next time Retrospect requests a disc.

By the way, DVD+R are MUCH faster than DVD-R in Retrospect.

Hi Lennart

I'm using DVD-R, I realise they are slower but that doesn't bother me at the moment - working at all would be nice!

"You can't normally see Retrospect's discs in the Finder, much less rename them" - Can't you? Is that specific to DVDs, because the DVD-RAM discs that I've always used (and still am on the alternating daily backup) have always appeared on the desktop.

I have just tried again, as you've said, when it asks for a new disc, I've inserted a new, blank disc but it hasn't appeared on the desktop or within Retrospect. Problem is it appears to be asking for removeable media - is this the problem? I'm continuing a backup started on removeable DVD-RAM cartridges and now wanting it to continue on DVD-R discs? Do I have to start a new backup set from scratch on the discs?

Quote:

Is that specific to DVDs, because the DVD-RAM discs that I've always used (and still am on the alternating daily backup) have always appeared on the desktop.

It's specific to DVD-RAM, since they have a normal file system on them.

Quote:

I have just tried again, as you've said, when it asks for a new disc, I've inserted a new, blank disc but it hasn't appeared on the desktop or within Retrospect. Problem is it appears to be asking for removeable media - is this the problem? I'm continuing a backup started on removeable DVD-RAM cartridges and now wanting it to continue on DVD-R discs? Do I have to start a new backup set from scratch on the discs?

Yes, you will need to start from scratch with a new backup set.

Bu**er!

Okay, if I've got to start a new backup, is there any way that I can start on the basis of what I've already got backep up? i.e. do I have to back everything up again or can I somehow start with only the items that have been modified since the last backup on the current set?

Also, can I introduce DVD+R discs into the new DVD-R set at at later date or do I need to start with them now?

Thanks

Quote:

Okay, if I've got to start a new backup, is there any way that I can start on the basis of what I've already got backep up? i.e. do I have to back everything up again or can I somehow start with only the items that have been modified since the last backup on the current set?

You have to start over, backing up everything.

Just keep the old discs as a spare backup.

Quote:

Also, can I introduce DVD+R discs into the new DVD-R set at at later date or do I need to start with them now?

You can use both DVD+R and DVD-R in the same backup set.

Archived