How to restore when you only have .rdb files

gatorfanatic

Okay, I realized I screwed up. I didn't save my catalog file, I only have the .rdb files and it seems I can't do a restore. Aren't you supposed to be able to recreate a catalog file? When I try to recreate the catalog it is still looking for a .rbc or .rbf file.

Please give any suggestions.

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick, I have the exact same problem. I called the Wester Digital people since I got Retrospect on a MyBook drive, and they were completely unable to help. They just said that by using the 'find' function I should be able to restore select files without recreating a catalogue file, but it still keeps looking for the .rbc or .rbf files.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Edwin

Patrick, after a lot of trial and error and some lurking in other sections (where people actually reply and give advice), I was able to come up with a solution for my problem. This is what I did:

I went to Tools: Repair Catalogue

and chose "Recreate from disks"

I then chose "All disks" and then found the folder in which all my .rdb files were stored. It then allowed me to recreate the database set and catalogue

My problem was that before I was trying to repair a file backup set when one didn't exist (and therefore Retrospect couldn't find it) or else repair a catalogue, where once again one didn't exist. Sorry that I can't be more specific, but now that I've recreated the catalogue, I can't fully retrace my steps. Suffice it to say that as long as your .rdb files are all there, you WILL be able to recover your files.

Also take a look at the following knowledgebase file:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=8350&r=0.2880976

Good luck!

Edwin

Well, I'm using Retrospect Express HD for Windows, version 2.0.214, and there is no "Tools" menu anywhere I can find.

It seems to have recreated the catalog file (I deleted it, as per this page, as somebody else in one of these forums said to do to fix an assertion message), but all my past restore points have disappeared, and it refuses to back up 2 of the 3 disks I'm telling it to backup. Then I upgraded from V1.x to the 2.0.214 version.

I'm almost ready to delete all the .rdb files from my Maxtor Onetouch external drive and start over again. But, it would be nice to keep the past restore points.

Bill

Well....I'm still mystified.

My hard drive died so I replaced it, reinstalled Windows XP to SP2 level (as before) and reinstalled Retrospect 7.5

Like the other posters I have only .rdb files on my external backup drive. They are in a Retrospect-created directory called 1-Backup Set B. When I go via Tools/Repair Catalogue/Recreate from Disks/All Disks and navigate to that directory and open it........nothing happens......Retrospect apparently doesn't see the .rdb files that are undoubtedly there.

I was backing up to this directory using 7.5 and xpsp2 prior to the crash. no error messages. There are lots of .rdb files there.

All suggestions are gratefully accepted.

• 1 month later...

I have a situation that I don't see anyone else has. My XP machine completely died, and I'm now using a new Vista PC. I had Retrospect Express 6.5, and did a backup in April on an external hard drive. Since Vista won't run Retrospect Express 6.5, I download and installed Microsoft Virtual Machine and loaded in XP, and then download Retro Express 6.5. I moved my .rdb files from my external hard disk to my virtual XP hard drive, and I can see them in explorer. When I go to catalog repair, recreate from disks, choose all disks, it looks on the drive, but cannot find any files- yet they are there. I have a bunch of .rdb files, and cannot do a thing with them. Any more suggestions? I have been doing this for several hours each day, and I'm now stumped.

The compatibility mode... now why didn't I think of that?! I was so busy doing all this fancy stuff, I over looked a basic windows function. Guess what? It worked! Thank you for your suggestion, it is really a life saver. I don't know what I would've done without my years of pictures and music!

Archived