RetrospectExpressHD/Maxtor OneTouch problem

mbogo

I just had another Windows crash (bad Windows 'system' file) on my misbegotten PC, so after recovering Windows, I have to restore from last night's backup. I'm running Windows XP/MediaCenter.

I have had to do this several times, including just last month, so I am familiar with the routine. :-(

I unplugged and disconnected my Maxtor OneTouch hard drive from the PC, and installed Maxtor and RetrospectExpressHD 1.0 software from the CD. When I hit the OneTouch button on the Maxtor per Step 3 of the instructions, the configuration get stuck on 'Updating Status...' for a very long time.

Interrupting this results doesn't help. Re-installing the software doesn't help.

I tested the drive using the Maxtor tool, and there is no indication of a problem. After three hours, I'm out of ideas.

Can anyone help? Is EMCInsignia tech support any help with this sort of problem?

Thanks in advance,

George

I am here to ask a question and will do that shortly. I stopped in at this thread because I thought it might apply to my problem (it doesn't).

I was struck by the reply posted by Retrospect Guru Russ. George asked if there was a live-chat tech support feature, and Russ replied, "Yes, it's called a telephone." Perhaps, I'm misreading the tone of the reply, but why do some people on this forum seem so brusque and impatient? Seems like it would have been more helpful and certainly more civil to say simply, "No, there is no live chat, but you can phone for tech support."

silkfan

Quote:

I am here to ask a question and will do that shortly. I stopped in at this thread because I thought it might apply to my problem (it doesn't).

I was struck by the reply posted by Retrospect Guru Russ. George asked if there was a live-chat tech support feature, and Russ replied, "Yes, it's called a telephone." Perhaps, I'm misreading the tone of the reply, but why do some people on this forum seem so brusque and impatient? Seems like it would have been more helpful and certainly more civil to say simply, "No, there is no live chat, but you can phone for tech support."

silkfan

Sorry you felt that way, silkfan. It was not intended to be brusque or impatient, just a bit of humor. I see you have made, including this constructive post, 5 posts in the forums during the past year that you have been a member, including the question you posted today in another thread. That's a whole lot of help that you have provided to other users of Retrospect during that time.

Candidly, questions like this poster asked would have been quickly answered if the poster had taken the time to read the forum FAQs and forum welcome documents. I tried to gently point the poster in the right direction with a bit of humor; I realized that, by the low number of posts he had made, he was a new member to the forums. I did not rant about RTFM. If I had wanted to be brusque, I could have pointed the poster to online rants about "support forum vultures" who never research the solutions to their questions and who never provide support to others, either, but I didn't do that. Anyone posting in a public forum, asking free help of other users, should first take the time to investigate before asking a question. In fact, the instructions on exactly how to contact support were given in the very log messages that he posted.

By the way, I don't give myself the nickname "Retrospect Guru" - that's just some silly title that the forum software adds, just like yours is given as "Occasional Forum Poster". I don't think anything of it, and wish it wasn't there, but there's no way for me to remove it. FYI, that's all explained in the Forum FAQ:

Forum FAQ

I hope you get the answer to your question.

Russ

Archived