Error 506 when trying to connect to Windows client

Hi,

New retrospect user here, everything is working fine on my OSX machines, but when i try to conenct to my windows XP laptops, i get this error:

506 (duplicate activator code)

the help says:

Update the client software to version 5.1 or later (Mac OS) or 6.5 or later (Windows).

but i used the latest build for the windows and for the OSX installs. Any ideas?

fred

Fred,

Welcome to the Retrospect forums.

Quote:

i used the latest build for the windows and for the OSX installs.

And what would those versions be? You haven't provided any information. Please understand that the help we (other users like you) provide here is not just for your benefit, but for the benefit of others who might be searching these forums for a solution months in the future at a time when "latest build" might not be the same as the one you are using. What Retrospect version and Retrospect Windows Client are you using?

Have you tried the procedures in this KnowledgeBase article?

KnowledgeBase Article 6340

Russ

Latest build being whatever it was i downloaded from the Retrospect site today.

---

main program - OSX: 6.1.126 (used Retrospect 6.1.126 Installer) (used to freeze regularly, installing the latest drivers, getting a gigabit switch to network everything together eliminated the freezing of the systems)

latest drivers installed on the OSX machine for Retrospect: Driver Update 6.1.9.102 (fixed the 2mb SMB limit - i am backing up to a Snapserver)

OSX clients: Retrospect Client for Macintosh 6.1.130 (works fine)

Windows client (on a Windows XP machine): Retrospect Client for Windows 7.0.112

---

do i need to somehow apply this driver patch to the Clients as well? There doesnt seem to be much i can do on the client end on the windows machine that helps. All i get when i try to connect is that error 506.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fred

OK, so did you take Russ' advice and check out the Knowledge Base article?

Specifically:

If there are multiple network adapters on a system, the Retrospect client may be binding to the wrong one. To force the client to bind to a specific adapter:

From the Run menu type:

retroclient -ipsave n

(substitute the n for the IP address of the client)

If you did this already and it had no effect, telling the Forum readers that would be helpfu.

If you did not do this, you should.

Dave

Quick update:

I noticed that the client listed under the Windows update is a newer version, so i updated the client on the Windows XP machine to:

Retrospect Client for Windows 7.5.116

I still get the same error.

im looking over the document you referenced, and i will try unloading and loading the client again, and other steps indicated to see if they help

fred

Ok, i figured out what the problem was:

"If there are multiple network adapters on a system, the Retrospect client may be binding to the wrong one. To force the client to bind to a specific adapter:"

the laptop has a wireless connection that was still active when i plugged it into the gigabit connection. When i disabled the wlan (it is not usually needed and can be turned on when needed) and rebooted, i was able to connect.

thanks for the help, the knowledge base document helped. What irritates me is that i did a search for KB articles containing that error code and could not find anything. Must have been typing something in wrong.

thanks!

fred

Glad you were able to figure it out, Fred.

Quote:

do i need to somehow apply this driver patch to the Clients as well?

No. The RDU only works with Retrospect itself. It's a Retrospect "Driver" update to help Retrospect talk to new devices. The client only talks over the network connection, doesn't access devices.

Russ

Archived