Why does Transfer Backup Set not create new Backup Set of same size?

haggis999

I have just used Transfer Backup Set to create a clone of my primary Backup Set. The destination was a brand new Backup Set. It all ran fine with no errors, but I am puzzled as to why the new set (47.7GB) is not exactly the same size on disk as my original set (56.9GB). In contrast, the RBC catalogue file for the new set is nearly three times bigger than the catalogue file for the original!

Can anyone make sense of this for me, please?

If you used catalog compression on the original backup set, but not the new one it would account for a size discrepancy.

Did you transfer between the same types of sets? Tape to tape? Disk to disk? Disk backup sets have a grooming option, and there may be more archival snapshots in the catalog then the original set. The more snapshots that are retrieved the larger the catalog.

In each case, the list before and after clicking on Add is identical. The order is different, but the same Snapshots are listed. I've now compared the Snapshot lists in greater depth.

In Backup Set #1 (the original), the list includes the following two Snapshots,

C: Drive 431 files 17/09/2006

C: Drive 2107 files 19/08/2006

In Backup Set #2 (the clone), the list includes the same two Snapshots but with different file totals!

C: Drive 387 files 17/09/2006

C: Drive 1935 files 19/08/2006

There are other Snapshots, but the details are exactly the same in both Backup Sets.

I don't understand how such differences have arisen. Any ideas?