Warning: volume XYZ has the Ignore ownership setting enabled

Hi - I am getting a warning in my logs on a network backup to a fixed hard drive:

"Warning: volume XYZ has the Ignore ownership setting enabled."

Should I be concerned? Why would I want to change the remote volume permissions? The remote volume is connected to an audio workstation and it is working beautifully -- I would hate to mess up anything on that end. The data on the remote volume is NOT a boot disk -- rather, it's just a bunch of content. It is backing up to a RAID as well as tape (on my server machine, via the gigabit network)

Retro workgroup vers 6.1.126

mac osx 10.4.8

Thanks in advance for any advice or clarification.

Jeremy

The "Ignore ownership" setting is made in the operating system. Typically, FireWire and USB drives have this setting on by default so they can easily be swapped from one machine to another.

You can either change the privileges setting for that volume (via Finder's "Get Info" window), or if you don't want to and you find the Retrospect error message annoying, you can turn the warning off (via Preferences> OS X).

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like this setting is benign (either in the OS or disabling it in Retro?)

This disk is NOT a removable, it is a fixed SATA drive in the 2nd bay of a G5 mac.

Can you think of a situation where I would want this setting enabled?

I guess my question is as much about the Mac OS (why do I want this permissions setting) as it is about Retrospect... by leaving the Ignore ownership box checked in OS, what problems will i face with Retro?

Thanks again for helping me understand this!

Jeremy

Quote:

Can you think of a situation where I would want this setting enabled?

A room full of Macintosh computers that are not logging in via a centralized user management such as Open Directory, Active Directory, etc. In such a case, the same user might have a different User ID ("UID") and Group ID ("GID") on different computers. User "Bob" on computer A wouldn't be able to access files created by user "Bob" on computer B because the different UIDs would indicate different ownership. This happens if you have local (Netinfo) users created on each computer rather than centrally. The setting causes all UID information to be ignored, gives wild and uncontrolled access to the files on that drive (lets everyone read and write regardless of permissions / ownership).

Here's an Apple support article on the subject:

Ignore Ownership article

Quote:

by leaving the Ignore ownership box checked in OS, what problems will i face with Retro?

Retrospect won't be able to back up and restore file ownership information correctly.

Russ