Retrospect 6.1.126 starts. but immediately quits upon executing a script or manually running job

We are using a new OS X Server (Tiger 10.4) on a new XServe. We have 2 attached drives that are used to store the backup files- both are approx 750GB drives, connected over USB 2.0. Currently all users are connecting to our server and using a shared space to save and work on their files. This drive is what needs to be backed up. The users are having no problems accessing the server, but if there was a failure all the data would be lost.

The jobs are created to copy the "Shared" folder from the local server drive, to the servers attached external drive. The job has never been run successfully. I have tried to run the job normally, for the script to run, as well as manually run a new smaller job from a variety of locations. Under every one of the options listed the Retrospect application just closes without any type of warning message, almost as if I told it to quit. The Retrospect log just shows the Retrospect server starting, but no error message for a failure, or its unexpected quitting.

I plan to uninstall the software and then reinstall it, but I wanted to check to see if anyone else out there has had a similar issue? We are using 6.1.126 with a Retrospect Driver Update version of 6.1.9.102

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I would hate to lose everyone’s work!

Is this an Xserve G5 or an Intel Xserve? You don't say. If it's an Intel Xserve, you are hitting the "Retrospect crashes on an Intel Mac if accessing a volume with ACLs enabled" bug (because ACLs are enabled by default on Mac OS X Server 10.4.x). There's a hacked version of Retrospect that ignores ACLs (and thus also doesn't back them up) available here:

Retrospect KB article for ACL hack

If it's not an Intel Xserve, you've got a different issue. Post details and we will try to help.

Hope this helps.

Russ