Subsequent snapshots not saved?

alan_gomes

I have a bit of confusion about the way Retrospect stores snapshots. I am backing up my laptop computer to a firewire hard drive. Therefore, I am creating what is called a file backup set, which is stored on the firewire drive. The backup works just fine. However, after I perform an incremental backup, the previous snapshot is overwritten and replaced with the new snapshot. Thus, whenever I look at the properties of the backup set, it will show the number of backup sessions but only show one snapshot, namely, the last one.

My understanding is that Retrospect should keep the older snapshots available in case I wanted to restore my drive to the state it was in at an earlier backup. Presently, I can only restore my system to the state of its last backup, as represented by the latest and only snapshot in the backup set.

Do I have something configured wrong?

Thanks,

Alan Gomes

Melissa,

Thanks for the reply. A few questions:

(1) Is this limitation true for all types of backups with Retrospect Express, or only when doing a "file backup"?

(2) Will the desktop version store old snapshots for backups of the "file backup" type? I would want to be sure before upgrading.

(3) Also, do you know whether there is a discount to for Express users to upgrade to Desktop?

Thanks,

Alan Gomes

Melissa,

I thought I would append another comment on the end of my previous one...

I went ahead and downloaded Retrospect Desktop (trial version) to see whether multiple snapshots could be saved when doing a "file backup" type. Just as with the Express version, only the last snapshot is saved, even though all of the backup "sessions" are noted. Is this a limitation of the file backup type? Or is there some setting that I'm not accounting for in the software?

Thanks,

Alan

Desktop keeps older snapshots. Did you do two backups with the Desktop trial? And it only showed one? It will always only show the latest but then the Desktop version has an added button that says "Add Snapshot". When you click that you should see your older snapshots.

Archived