Slow backup to Firewire hard drive.

I'm running Retrospect 5.0 on an iBook with OSX, and trying to backup about 30GB of local files to a firewire hard drive. A finder copy takes about an hour, but Retrospect took over 16 hours. What's wrong?? I understand that the cataloging and verification take some time, but that much??

Help - I need to be able to run these backups overnight and this is much too slow!

Look in the operations log for the backup performance. How close is this to the Finder copy speeds?

Were there any errors?

Try doing a Retrospect Duplicate - do you get the same performance?

A Retrospect backup is going to take longer because the verification adds time. Retrospect also uses time for scanning, matching and reading permissions. Also, Retrospect may be copying hidden files that a Finder copy is missing. There isn't usually such a large discrepancy however.

Interesting... I am Duplicating our ASIP Server (Current Projects folder only) to an external 25 gig. VST firewire drive and I too find it extremely slow, compared to Retro 4. I also, for some strange reason, find that it always duplicates ALL the files, not just the ones that have been updated since the last duplicate. I have searched and searched for a setting but to no avail. This is not using the Client on the ASIP server as I know it will crash the server. I auto-mount the volume on the desktop (G4 867 w/ 1 gig. ram) and then duplicate to the firewire drive from there using Retro 5.0.205.

In reply to:

I have searched and searched for a setting but to no avail

That's because it's not a Retrospect issue, it's an OS X bug.

Volumes mounted via AFP will sometimes offset the dates by 1 second when mounted. Retrospect gets the dates from the OS, and sometimes the OS is wrong. This has been discussed on this Forum in a few different threads.

Dave

Sorry - I realized that. This actually backs up everything each time - 25 gig. worth of data - which takes just a 'little' time. I have set the "Replace Corresponding Files" setting in the script. What I would hope it would do is only update/copy changed files since the last Duplicate, not Duplicate the whole thing again and overwrite the whole firewire disk. I run the script once a day, just before I leave, so I can bring it home with me. Since it takes so long, I end up without an off-site backup...