change standard location for catalog files?

BIS

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to set the location in which Retrospect normally looks for its Catalog Files. I'd rather have them all on a server(that even takes care of backuping them) instead of somewhere in the "My Documents" folder.

I just reinstalled a machine on which the Catalog Files formerly used to be in the default location (My Documents - Retrospect Catalog Files). Of course, I could now relocate each and every one. But they are about 330 files. Can't I just tell Retrospect the location where they are now and where I'd also like all new ones to be created?

Using Retrospect 6.5(!) Professional on Win XP Home SP2, 2.6 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM.

Thanks, Matthias

Yes, it also seems to me that it does remember the last used location for new catalogs. But if I need to access an existing catalog, I first have to tell Retrospect where it is. The Load dialog I get starts in the same(right) directory, at least, and if I have "Hide extensions for known file types" (in Windows) enabled, it's enough to press Enter - no big deal. Yet otherwise, I'll have to point Retrospect to exactly the catalog I'm trying to access, since it won't recognize that "catalogfile.rbc" is the "catalogfile" it's searching for. Probably a bug that has been fixed in newer versions. But I can do the workaround with hiding the extensions. Great to have confirmed, however, that Retrospect keeps the last used location "in mind".

Thanks, Matthias

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm back again. It didn't really work as it should.

Obviously, my version of Retrospect only remembers a new catalog file location for the time running. The next time I start Retrospect, all defaults to "C:\Documents and Settings\User A\My Documents\Retrospect Catalog Files" again.

Who knows whether I can tell Retrospect to default to another path instead of this one and where to do it? Registry, INI Files, anything? I'm talking about the path where the software looks for existing catalog files and creates new ones.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Matthias

I have the same problem in Retrospect Pro v7.5. I think it's a flaw in the program that won't allow the catalog file to be stored anywhere except in the my documents folder. If a disaster ever occurs, and you need to recover your hard drive, the catalog file won't be found by the disaster recovery CD and will have to me rebuilt then. It makes no sense, but I haven't been able to get a fix from anyone.

Thank you - good to know. That made it easier to write a macro that told Retrospect about the new location of our now 370 catalog files. So, nobody will have to get me any more to help them find a file.

But - new catalog files will still be placed into the My Documents\Retrospect Catalog Files folder. We can't afford to set another folder manually each time we create a new backup set. But I can probably live with that. It's just for backuping reasons that I want them on another drive. I'll have to remember to move them all onto the right drive once a few months and tell Retrospect about it again...

However, it's a pity that Retrospect still doesn't seem to allow to set a custom folder for those files.