OS 9 and OS X compatibility

I've been backing up my OS 9 partition from OS 9, using Retrospect 5 Desktop. I would like to start backing up my OS 9 partition from OS X. I have two related questions:

1. Is it possible to somehow "import" my file selectors from the OS 9 version of Retrospect into my OS X version, so I don't have to manually reenter all of them?

2. If I backup both my OS X and my OS 9 partitions using Retrospect 5 running in OS X, can I then restore both those partitions using Retrospect 5 running in OS 9? Part of the answer to this depends on whether backup sets created by the OS X version of Retrospect can only be "accessed" by the OS X version. Another part of the answer depends on whether the OS 9 version of Retrospect can reliably restore an OS X volume (including permissions, links, bootable state, etc.) from a backup set that was first created by Retrospect in OS X.

Thank you very much,

Anthony M. Kassir, MD

> 1. Is it possible to somehow "import" my file selectors from the OS 9 version of Retrospect into my OS X version, so I don't have to manually reenter all of them?

When you first launch the OS X version, it should recognize that you had a previous version and ask you if you want to import your preferences. Choose "Import."

Your 4.3 preferences are kept in a file under OS 9 called "Retro.Config (4.2)" and are at System > Preferences > Retrospect. You can copy this file if you wish.

If you are not prompted to import on first launch, you can place this file in your OS X system at /Library/Preferences/Retrospect, and be sure there are not other Retro.Config files. Launching Retrospect at that point should offer the option to import.

> 2. If I backup both my OS X and my OS 9 partitions using Retrospect 5 running in OS X, can I then restore both those partitions using Retrospect 5 running in OS 9?

No, you can only restore the OS 9 partition when running in OS 9. OS X MUST be running to restore a full OS X system, since OS 9 can't handle links, permissions and other OS X specific data. The backup sets will be readable, but full restores require that you follow the restore instructions for OS X in the User's Guide or at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=736

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Thanks for your help.

I would like to ask a couple more questions on this topic.

1. Concerning my first original question:

I have already been using Retrospect in OS X to backup my OS X partition, and have made custom file selectors for my OS X backup. So I already have a Retro.Config (5.0) file in the location /Library/Preferences/Retrospect. Should I copy my Retro.Config (4.2) file to the same location? Will Retrospect then give me the option to import those file selectors (used to backup my OS 9 partition) without overwriting my current selectors (used to backup my OS X partition)? How do I accomplish this? Or do I need to manually reenter my file selectors?

2. Concerning my second question:

I have a few separate questions on this.

2 (a) Suppose I backed up a separate OS 9 partition using Retrospect 5 while running in OS X. If I have to restore that OS 9 partition, could I run Retrospect 5 under OS X to do that restore?

Backup of OS 9 partition: done in OS X

Restore of OS 9 partition: done in OS X = successful?

2 (B) I seem to understand from your answer to my original question that I could do that same restore from OS 9. Does that mean that, if Retrospect 5 is running in OS 9, it will be able to read and use a backup set created by Retrospect 5 running in OS X?

Backup of OS 9 partition: done in OS X

Restore of OS 9 partition: done in OS 9 = successful? (Retrospect in OS 9 could use backup set created in OS X)

2 © Another variation on this question: would Retrospect 5 running in OS X be able to restore an OS 9 partition, using a backup set created by Retrospect 5 running in OS 9?

Backup of OS 9 partition: done in OS 9

Restore of OS 9 partition: done in OS X = successful?

Thanks a lot.

Anthony M. Kassir, MD

> Concerning my first original question:

You can't combine them; it's one or the other. You'll either need to continue with your 5.0 prefs, or delete the 5.0 file and place the 4.2 file, launch, import, and then re-make your modifications to your filters.

> Backup of OS 9 partition: done in OS X

> Restore of OS 9 partition: done in OS X = successful?

Yes.

> Backup of OS 9 partition: done in OS X

> Restore of OS 9 partition: done in OS 9 = successful? (Retrospect in OS 9 could use backup set created in OS X)

Yes.

> Backup of OS 9 partition: done in OS 9

> Restore of OS 9 partition: done in OS X = successful?

Yes.

OS 9 is relatively easy to restore, because it doesn't have the same kind of requirements that OS X does. OS X requires that it be restored from an OS X system to correctly assign permissions needed by the OS. OS 9 doesn't have these requirements.

Archived