retrospect not working at all on 24" imac

hi there!

retrospect is not working at all on my 24" imac. it's not working with the internal drive (it seems to be unable to configure it in any usable way using verbatim 16x dvd-r or other media), and it's not working with my external pioneer dvr111, which is weird because its working with the pioneer on my ibook 12" flawlessly. the internal drive on the imac is a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J. retrospect version is 6.1.126 and driver update is 6.1.9.102.

so. what can i do. can somebody at emc2 tell me that there will be an update VERY soon? or will i have to sell this piece of (*&$# and get some other backup solution?

please enlighten me, any input is appreciated.

merry christmas to y'all!

alex.

Here's the current list of supported devices:

Retrospect supported devices

I don't see the UJ-85J listed as a supported device; you may be out of luck on that one until EMC releases a driver update for that drive.

However, the DVR-111 does appear listed as a supported device. You might be confusing things with the .rdi configuration files that you made when you tried to configure the UJ-85J. I'd suggest moving the .rdi files to your desktop (or trashing them, they aren't working), quitting and restarting Retrospect, see if it works to the DVR-111. It appears that DVD-R is supported with the DVR-111:

Quote:

Macintosh Public Notes: 1) In the event of a power failure or computer crash during a backup, Retrospect may be able to restore the data previously written to that disc, but the user should never try to append to this disc.

2) Only DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL media is supported with this drive and Retrospect. CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD-R DL media is not supported for use with Retrospect.

3) For faster performance, DVD+R/RW and DVD+R DL media is recommended for backup over DVD-R/RW.

Russ

thanks for your input, russ!

i might try your suggestion with movin the configuration files to the desktop.

the 111 is properly recognized by retrospect and everything works as expected until i insert a dvd to backup. then retrospect locks up and the force quit applications utility (command-alt-esc) tells me that retrospect is not responding. the disc drive keeps running at high speed and nothing changes. for hours if i don't quit the program. it seems to me that some driver or something is not working properly.

regards,

alex.