Error 206 Drive Reported a Failure, Dirty Heads, Bad Meida, ect.

I am running into this problem more and more frequently and as of this week, everyday. Anyone able to point me in a right directions as to what is occuring. Can't seem to really find anything in the forums to help.

Running Retrospect 6.5 on a Mac OSX Dual 1 Gig w/ 1 gig ram.

DVD-RW burner is the Pioneer 104 (which is supported by EMC for Retropect)

Backup media is Sony DVD-RW disc's (switching out daily between 10 of them for a two week backup set)

I've tried other brands of DVD-RW's and Sony is the only one that seems to work for me.

Over the last year we get the occational 206 error (maybe once or twice a month). As of the last week we get the Error 206 everytime the script starts up during the night. The logs list the Error as "Error 206 Drive Reported A Failure, Dirty Heads, Bad Media, Ect.". I've tried to erase the DVD-RW manually with Retro and get the same error after about an hour of it erasing the disc.. arg.... All the disc are clean as a whisle on the writing side.

Where I am at at this point is, I am figuring that the DVD-RW's just go bad after you re-write to them so many times or my drive is going bad.

Anyone have any idea's?

Anyone recommend a good DVD-RW disc that is working for them?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Daven

Quote:

Running Retrospect 6.5 on a Mac OSX Dual 1 Gig w/ 1 gig ram.

There is no such version of Retrospect Mac.

Quote:

I am figuring that the DVD-RW's just go bad after you re-write to them so many times

There is a limit. Have you looked at the Sony specs for your media?

Quote:

or my drive is going bad.

That's a possibility because you indicate that you've got pretty heavy usage. Perhaps the lens is just dirty on the laser, or there's the possibility that the laser is getting dim. That happens with time.

But you've identified all of the issues.

Russ

Quote:

I am figuring that the DVD-RW's just go bad after you re-write to them so many times or my drive is going bad.

Likely one or the other.

While I don't have a suggestion for a current aftermarket drive for you to buy, I would suggest you consider moving from RW media to +R media. I haven't done the math to figure out the cost differences (which would require knowing the maximum number of re-writes possible on RW), but 10 disks every two weeks isn't much to invest. +R media is best for the packet writing that Retrospect can do.

Dave

Ah, sorry... we are using Retrospect 6. Not sure how I thought of 6.5

Thank you all for your input. I will check with Sony about the specs for the media. And get the drive lens cleaned. I'll have to look at what is involved with switching from RW to +R disc.

Here is another questions. The Pinoneer 104 drive is a 4X DVD-RW writer. I found when I purchase DVD-RW disc that are listed as 4X or 2X only, they do not work. But when I purchase what are called variable speed DVD-RW disk 1X-4X they work. Any thought on why the ones that are listed as 4X or 2X only don't work? I can't even get Retrospect to use them at all. And I've tried lots of different brands.

Thanks again

Daven